Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Night Weaning?

Default Night Weaning?

Hm, I am not sure this can even be called weaning, but...
    My son is 7 months old now. For a while he slept through the entire night, but about a month ago, he started waking up 2-3 times during the night again crying. I would go to him, pick him up, offer him a breast, and he would quiet down immediately, and would suck just enough to get the let down and then pop off and go to sleep. Which is sort of mean
    I talked to his doctor at our last appointment, and she suggested that my husband should go comfort him in the night instead of me.
    So, we started doing that. First time he threw a small tantrum, but quieted down really quickly (my husband does the exact same thing (short of the boob) that I do - pick him up, cradle him, and go to the rocking chair to rock.
    So, we have been doing that, and he stopped waking up as often, he now wakes up maybe once if at all (our rule is if he wakes up before 5 AM, my husband comforts him if its after 5, we assume he is hungry and I go nurse him).
    But I am now getting worried about something. What if he is actually just really hungry in the middle of the night and mean parents don't feed him but just rock him back to sleep? Is that possible? He seems to sleep better without the incentive of sucking on the boob in the middle of the night, and it takes maybe a minute or two for my husband to get him back to sleep, and when he is hungry he will not go down... I think.
    Should I be worry about him not eating enough?
    First time mommy to a wonderful baby boy, Kai, 3/26/2010
    Birth Weight: 7lb 8oz
    1 month: 9lb 6oz
    3 months: 13lb 10oz
    6 months: 17lb 1oz
    9 months: 19lb 13oz
    12 months: 21lb

We are , love to , cloth diapering that and taking him with us everywhere.

Default Re: Night Weaning?

Is he still having lots of wets/poops? Is he generally happy and content? Still growing a meeting milestones?
    Hi, I'm Faith, a Wife, Mom, Stepmom and SAHM
    I married my best friend Rodney on October 17, 2009
    DS1 Andy Born May 11, 2002
    DS2 Ethan Born May 18, 2009 Nursed 2 years 7 months & 2 days
    DSS1 Benjamin Born September 24, 1989

Oh, he has plenty poopie diapers all right (just had to clean a very poopy baby up and plenty of wet ones too. He is growing and meeting his milestones. He is happy most of the time, although lately he has been very clingy and kind of whiney, not sure how to explain - but I think its because he is teething, alhtough I am not sure.
    First time mommy to a wonderful baby boy, Kai, 3/26/2010
    Birth Weight: 7lb 8oz
    1 month: 9lb 6oz
    3 months: 13lb 10oz
    6 months: 17lb 1oz
    9 months: 19lb 13oz
    12 months: 21lb

We are , love to , cloth diapering that and taking him with us everywhere.

if it works that that sounds great! If he was hungry he most likely wouldn't go back to sleep so easy! with the daytime being whiny he probably misses the nighttime connection he got with you (babies nurse to reconnect as well as for hunger) so maybe try spending more time with him during the day... wear him if possible, when my daughter gets clingy I cinch her up close to me in my sling and carrier her all around, or some times I sit and play with her and sing songs just some extra time so your LO doesn't feel like he is missing out...
    Rosemary 9-16-09 9lbs 11oz 21inches
    Laura K - FT SAHM at 17 months! and still comfort nursing for sleep

I think you should trust that instinct and know that he won't go back to sleep if he's starving hungry. Babies are little survival machines! As to the increased clinginess, if he's 7/8 months it's probably just the onse of separation anxiety. Nothing weird or unusual, not really to do with missing you at night if someone comes to comfort. This is still a time to be extra cuddly and reliable because a small person who's just noticed you as a separate being needs to know they can trust you. Sounds like you're doing a really good job.
    Art student and Mummy to Luca born 12th June 09 and Elidi 18th of May 11
    How can time go quite so fast

i guess i wouldn't worry about it if it's owrking for you, but my instinct is to always go in and offer him milk when he wakes up in the middle of the night. It just makes me feel more comfortable that he is getting what he needs.

I think lots of peds will urge you to resist feeding your LO at night. I know mine did. But in reality, I think that he drinks more milk in the middle of the night than at any other time of day. So he may not be hungry - but why would he spend 20 minutes actively sucking if he weren't, kwim?

And there's another, more selfish reason i tend to do the middle of the night feeding! If he sleeps through without getting up to nurse, he's ready to be up for the day between 5 and 530. If he nurses at 2-3 am, he sleeps till seven. Mommy doesn't love getting up at 5am.

oooops -sorry. just realized this was from like two weeks ago
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it