Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby Led Weaning

Question Baby Led Weaning

Hi everyone! any opinions about "baby led weaning"? I like the idea but somehow afraid of maybe not giving enough food.

Default Re: Baby Led Weaning

How old is your baby?
    My last two babies didn't eat much untill they were over 1

Hows their growth been?
    Wets and poops?
    that's how to know if they are getting the food they need.

As long as you are still nursing plenty the 'right' amount of solid foods is however much baby is eating. That is one of the great things about BLW. Baby can self-regulate his or her own solids intake, rather than having spoonfuls placed into their mouths. Breastfed babies are used to self regulating already because that is how nursing works as well.

And like Andrea said, if baby isn't eating enough there will be outward signs.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

with the PPs. BLS/BLW means trusting the baby to self-regulate, whether that means the baby gobbles down a ton of food or doesn't do more than taste.

FWIW, my pediatrician is emphatic that until age 1, solids are just for fun, and breastmilk or formula are sufficient to meet all a baby's nutritional needs. I know it's hard to believe when you see parents methodically stuffing their kids with Gerber!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

[QUOTE=@llli*mommal;1025743FWIW, my pediatrician is emphatic that until age 1, solids are just for fun, and breastmilk or formula are sufficient to meet all a baby's nutritional needs. I know it's hard to believe when you see parents methodically stuffing their kids with Gerber![/QUOTE]

My ped. isn't AWESOME in terms of bfing, but they stress this too.

I have let my baby feed himself from the beginning. Sometimes i'm sort of dumbfounded by the amount he'll eat, sometimes he'll barely touch it. That's part of the reason I love this approach so much more than giving them say, an ounce at every meal. Sometimes they want more, sometimes they want less.

I generally put a couple of different things in front of him, and if he's interested, he'll eat it and I offer more. If he's not, I take him away and leave the food there and offer again in a half our or so (after I've offered him to nurse always) and sometimes he's interested and sometimes he's not. If not after the second time, I usually just put it away and wait for another time.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Another BLW/BLS advocate here. with PPs. You may want to check out the resources listed here

I've *almost* never worried about not giving my LO enough food since I tend to worry more about her not getting enough BM My thinking has been that she has years and years ahead to enjoy good food while only has these baby years to have the wonderful BM.

One thing I'm certain of is that she is the HAPPIEST baby I've ever seen at meal times, even when she doesn't actually ingest much she is always eager to participate in our family mealtimes and would try ANYTHING. I attribute that to the BLW way. I love that attitude to eating and the fact that she's always been part of our meal times right from the start .

I do daycare in our home and when they eat I will put Liberty in there with them and put what they are having(if it's safe for her) on her tray and let her eat with them and us too as a family. Sometimes she eats more than I would think she could fit in her tummy and other times she will barely eat anything. I BF on demand so I know she is getting what she needs no matter what solids she decides to eat that day. However, she does enjoy meal times with the kids and our family and is a very happy little girl.
    I serve an awsome God!!

Bailee 9y

JW 6y

Liberty 3y
    Ethaniel