Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Infant feeds every 3 hr only eats 5 minutes

Question Infant feeds every 3 hr only eats 5 minutes

My baby is 4 weeks tomorrow and used to nurse 15-20 per breast, now it's 5min every 3 hrs on one side and hardly any on the other side. I burp and switch at 5 min even if still sucking.

Is he getting enough hindmilk?

Should I NOT switch breasts if he is actively sucking on one side and only switch sides every other feeding??

He is def. gaining weight, I can tell and has 1 mo check up Thurs.

Default Re: Infant feeds every 3 hr only eats 5 minutes

As long as the baby is having adequate diaper output, gaining weight, and seeming happy and healthy, there's no reason to worry. Some babies become efficient eaters pretty early on! My first baby nursed 40 minutes at a time until around 3 months old. My second was getting meals in 10 minutes from birth.

Regarding hindmilk, you'll know if your baby is getting enough by looking at his diapers. If his poops are a golden yellow and full of curdy/seedy matter, he's getting plenty. If they are consistently greenish, watery, foamy, and explosive, then maybe not. (The occasional green diaper is not a matter for concern.)

Should I NOT switch breasts if he is actively sucking on one side and only switch sides every other feeding??
    Watch the baby. Let his finish the first breast at his own pace, and when he comes off on his own, burp him and offer the second. If he takes it, great. If not, no worries- as long as diaper output remains normal.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Infant feeds every 3 hr only eats 5 minutes

You don't need to switch sides after a set amount of time- what you need to be looking for is your breast to feel well drained. This might mean that you only switch sides on the next feed or if you have a lot of milk (an oversupply) this might mean feeding from the same side for 2 feeds in a row. This is what I found in the beginning- LO was and still is a very fast nurser. 5 minutes on one side per feed and that's it!
    Hope that makes sense!