Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: A couple questions

Default A couple questions

Here are a couple questions I want to throw out to you.....

My baby is almost 5 weeks old. He was 7 lbs 13 oz at birth, and gained weight well at his 2 week weight check (8lbs 5 oz).

1. The pediatrician said around 3 weeks his pooping would slow down to just a 1 or 2 a day..it has not. Its still almost every diaper. Is this ok?

2. In 3 weeks from today I will be going back to work. How do I know how much milk to leave for him, and what kind of instructions to leave regarding when to give it and how much to give at one feeding?

3. Sometimes he feeds quite close together, but other times I have woken him during the day if its more than 3 hours, or at night if I wake up and its about 5 (only happened a few times). The ped. said this was the way to go when we were there at 2 weeks. My mom says I'm crazy to wake a sleeping baby overnight, that I'm training him to wake up, and I should let him sleep since he's a little older now, and gaining weight well, etc. How do I know?

4. I know initially he was supposed to eat 8-12 times per day, but eventually that will change, how do I know when it changes, or when I should stop regulating how many times per day he eats? (It will always be 8-12 times - almost always 8 or 9), if I don't let him go more than 3 hours during the day, or 4 1/2 at night. Does this make sense? At a month, how many times should be eating, or how long should he be sleeping? Is there some kind of schedule, that 8-12 x/day at first, but then what at one month? at 2 months? How many hours?

Thanks so much!

Default Re: A couple questions

I can't help you with the going back to work, but when you are with your baby and following his signs, the number of feedings won't change drastically. I thought they would, too, but they just don't. I still nurse my 8 mo 8-10 times a day. That isn't likely to change until he starts eating primarily solids around a year.

Thanks...that helps to think about at least.

I can't really help you with the going back to work queston, but the question about the diapers, I know that my baby girl had a dirty diaper almost everytime for about 2-3 months. She finally slowed down to once a day, and now she is almost 8 months old and she just started having a dirty diaper every other day. Good luck on going back to work!

I had the same kind of issue with going back to work and trying to guess how much milk to leave. Here is how I guessed. I was told that a baby should be eating/drinking 2-3 oz of breast milk per lb of body weight per day, so if your LO is 7 lbs, that means on the high side, 7 x 3 = 21 oz. per day. Divide that by how many times she is eating and that will give you a good estimate of how much she might want at each feeding. Remember (I didn't know this for a while) that breastmilk can be re-warmed once, so if you want to make the bottles on the bigger side, ask your childcare provider to refrigerate what you don't use and use it for the next feeding. It can be re-warmed once and used at the next feeding only. This is how I did it and it seemed to work out well. After a few weeks your childcare provider should be able to give you an idea of whether or not your LO is finishing the bottles or could possibly take a little more. Hope this helps!