Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Could she be ready now???

Default Could she be ready now???

hi there

my DD is only 15 weeks old (3 1/2 months) and i am wondering about her readiness/eagerness to start food. i must say i am very reluctant, but i made a promise to be led by her and i think she is telling me she is ready.

she has 2 teeth (ouch) she can hold her head well and is physically very able and advanced. she is munching and chewing (not sucking) everything.

she mimicks us when we eat, staring intensely at our food and trys to grab at our food or hands when we eat. i don't think she is extra hungry, her BM is just right, but i think she wants to experience it.

what could/should i do. i would be soooo sad if she gave up the breast as a result of this.

she was very very overdue by the way, if she'd born on her due date she'd be over 4 months now. if that means anything.

Default Re: Could she be ready now???

from http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/solids.html
    Watch for these signs:

-increased nursing that continues for more than a few days and is unrelated to illness or teething;
    -increased interest in table food while others are eating;
    -the ability to sit up;
    -absence of the tongue-thrusting reflex so that baby does not push solids out of his mouth;
    -and an ability to pick up food and put it in his mouth.
    If she is not showing all of those signs, I would say she isn't ready. I highly doubt she is ready at only 3.5 mo, regardless how overdue she
    was. Read the entire article I linked; it has good info.

I personally would hold off but you are the mama and you need to decide. A 3.5mo physically can not digest solid food yet so even if you did start now it would go in and out without much benefit.

LL League and the AAP suggest exclusively breastfeeding for at least the first 6 months. Hope that helps?!?

Two teeth already! Goodness!

I would hold off until at least 4 months and the re-evaluate the situation using Feorsteorra's post as a guideline.

Munching and chewing is a part of teething also. She could be cutting more teeth. The interest in your eating food and trying to grab food is a normal part of a baby's curiosity. If you put a toy in front of her, she would put that in her mouth too.

Hope that helps!

thank you all for your responses. i did some more reading and have decided to wait as long as she'll let me. ideally 6 months.

thanks again

Sally xxx