Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: beer, MIL driving me nuts

marie1965 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: beer, MIL driving me nuts

I had one friend drink a beer to help when she was engorged and needed to relax and help her letdown. Said her doctor told her to. She said she never knew if it helped the milk issue, but she felt more relaxed.

So you can try drinking a beer if you aren't opposed to drinking beer as a rule. If it works, then it works. If it doesn't, you can tell them you tried it and it didn't work for you.

My mother, a former LLL leader (though from about 20 years ago, so of course a lot has changed since her day), has told me the reason this idea was started was because by consuming most any grain will help your supply (i.e. oatmeal!). Her suggestion to me was to drink a non-alcoholic beer so that I got the supply boosting factors without the alcohol! Perhaps this would be a good compromise for your mil.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Hi! I've read (I forget where) that alcohol can actually lower supply. But if your MIL keeps bugging you, how about trying some non-alcoholic beer? That way you get the hops without the alcohol! Everybody wins!

Her suggestion to me was to drink a non-alcoholic beer so that I got the supply boosting factors without the alcohol! Perhaps this would be a good compromise for your mil.
    That's a great idea. I don't like liars, but my mil has said over and over, "Why don't you try cereal?" Finally I just told her that we did give her cereal. You could say, "yes, I drink beer every day." Maybe she'll leave you alone. I know my mil would still be talking about the cereal today.

Good Luck.

Large amounts of alcohol can inhibit supply. One beer a day will not.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I've also heard that beer, and particularly Guinness, can boost supply. My mom said her sister used to say it and a friend of my mom's generation said that her mom also said it.

I am having supply probs and read through Dr. Jack Newman's website a bit today. He addresses various non-drug substances rumored to improve supply, including herbs, beer, brewer's yeast, and more. Apparently that idea comes from northern Europe. He also mentions that these are all unproven. I've been having half a beer or so (sharing with husband) just in case.

You should only drink beer if you want to. Sorry people are giving you grief.

Quote Originally Posted by Mama2Caleb2006 View Post
    Actually, I've heard frmo my IBCLC that a dark beer each day CAN help boost and maintain supply... Something about the hops in the beer? I've never tried it because I am on meds for PPD but I've heard it's helped for many moms.

One beer a day is totally fine while breastfeeding... Just enough to calm and relax you...
    Sooo, I can have a beer with dinner and the milk is still okay to give to my baby? How long after drinking the beer should I wait before pumping?

Whether or not that really works with the beer, I'd go that far and tell my MIL that I drank a beer like she told me to but nothing out of the extraordinary happened. Maybe then she will stop

Quote Originally Posted by quakerm0mma View Post
    No, drinking a beer a day will not boost your supply. But it might help a mother relax, and if she has been tense or stressed, that relaxation could promote a good letdown. Mother often confuse ledtown problems with low supply, so that is probably where the "beer increases your supply" myth started.
    Rebecca,

That really makes sense to me. From my own experience, I've noticed that as long as I have a good letdown during my pumping session, then I've had a "good" pumping session.

I agree with pp's statements about the relaxing qualities of 1 drink helping tense moms with letdown. In a very amusing exerpt from a 1970's edition of Dr. Spock, he recommends the nursing mother relax using whatever method she feels most comfortable with, "meditation, deep breathing, a cup of tea or a beer, smoking a cigarette."

Can you believe it?

Anyway, 1 drink a day will not taint your milk. I read somewhere that bm will contain approx 2% of your BAC. So 1 drink will be completely benign. If you're worried, nurse within 20 minutes or after 2 hours.