Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: beer, MIL driving me nuts

Default beer, MIL driving me nuts

My MIL and her friends keep telling me to drink a beer a day. It is driving me crazy. they sware it helps to keep their supply up although none of them have actually tried it because they all formula fed thier babies (and i'm not having any supply problems). I hear it almost every time i am over at her house and i've tried to nicely make statements that i don't think it is best practice to do that and just an old wives tale type of thing. I really would love someone to tell me i'm wrong and to drink a beer each day because its been a year since i've had a beer, but i really don't think it is true. I've looked at info on low supply issues and never read to drink beer. i've read eat oatmeal, and some herbal supplements, but never beer. If anyone can think of something that i can tell her to prove her wrong, i'd love to know so i can get her to stop telling me this. of course like most people this is only one of the many things my MIL says and believes that annoy me, but this is one that i just think is crazy. Thank you for any information.
    Last edited by lmeyer7716; October 16th, 2006 at 09:06 AM.

Default Re: beer, MIL driving me nuts

All I can say is I have been Bf for 9 months and my supply is wonderful.
    Drinking lots of water (not beer) gives your body energy to supply milk.
    My grandma told me her milk didn't ever come in and her friends told her to drink beer but she felt that was just wrong.
    My grandma didn't believe them.
    One day I had one glass of sangria and forgot to pump, well my baby woke up two hours later not feeling that great.

Or just tell them no I am not going to drink a beer.

goodluck

I heard this same thing from a family friend who happened to be Welsh. She had breastfeed all three of her children and swore that a Guinness in the late afternoon every day got her through cluster feeding and fussy spells.

No, drinking a beer a day will not boost your supply. But it might help a mother relax, and if she has been tense or stressed, that relaxation could promote a good letdown. Mother often confuse ledtown problems with low supply, so that is probably where the "beer increases your supply" myth started.

Also, sadly, I know of no way to make a mother-in-law stop saying something. But I know that one way that NEVER works is to argue the point in hopes of convincing her she is wrong. Just let her well-meant advice go in one ear and out the other, and to the offered beer, just smile and say, "No thanks!"

--Rebecca

Wouldn't that just be the bomb if we could drink a beer a day?? There are some days when I could sure use one after dd goes to bed!!

Quote Originally Posted by quakerm0mma View Post
    Also, sadly, I know of no way to make a mother-in-law stop saying something. But I know that one way that NEVER works is to argue the point in hopes of convincing her she is wrong. Just let her well-meant advice go in one ear and out the other, and to the offered beer, just smile and say, "No thanks!"
    Isn't that the truth...I have found that to be the best advice ever. You don't have to convince her...just nod politely and change the subject.

And just to clarify, one beer a day is okay to drink, if you want to have a glass now and then. I enjoy one on a regular basis...and it is very relaxing during my dd's fussy evening period. I never drink enough to feel any more than relaxed, though! And I haven't noticed that it affects her at all.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Actually, I've heard frmo my IBCLC that a dark beer each day CAN help boost and maintain supply... Something about the hops in the beer? I've never tried it because I am on meds for PPD but I've heard it's helped for many moms.

One beer a day is totally fine while breastfeeding... Just enough to calm and relax you...

Sorry you're having MIL problems There is no evidence that drinking a beer increases supply - the old wive's tale probably comes from the fact that having a beer relaxes some mothers and encourages let-down.

I think you already have the answer, though: You're not having any supply problems! I would simply tell your MIL that you appreciate her advice, but you're not having any supply problems so you don't see the need to change something that's working already

Good luck!
    Erin - Hayden James is my beautiful boy - we've been nursing happily for two years, with no end in sight!

Change the language, change the reality.

thank you all for your replys. maybe its a southern thing or a new orleans thing, but tons of old people, grandmothers keep telling me this and i just don't believe it.

My LC *encouraged* me to drink a beer when my preemie was in the NICU for almost 4 months-I was getting bad about pumping and my supply was dwindling. I drank half a beer and pumped 4 x's the amt I usually did about 6 hours after that. She did tell me why beer helps with supply, but it was 2 1/2 years ago, I cannot remember. I do remember thinking she was wacky but saying to myself I would try anything at that point-I was getting maybe 20mls per session. I was practically feeling engorged after drinking the beer and got over 3 ounces of bm. I called the NICU frantic, wondering if I could actually give my baby this bm I pumped-they said absolutely YES! I have no proof, just my one time experience!

It's the hopps that's in a beer... If you look up what can cause an increase in supply, you'll find hopps among the fenugreek, etc.

Good luck!