Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: painful let-down

Default painful let-down

My second son is 5 weeks old today. My problem is extremely painful letdowns. Could there be a problem?

Default Re: painful let-down

I also had painful letdown in the early weeks- I also had a very active letdown anyway, and could spray across the room. Sometimes, even though DD is almost 8 months, if it's been a while since the last feed, it's still a bit uncomfortable if I am very full. I am fairly certain that most of us have had that at one point or another, but if you're really concered, you could speak to your OB or an LC.

Default Re: painful let-down

I had this happen too with my LO in the early weeks. It seemed to be worse in the mornings when I was really full and my body was trying to adjust. I think it was as if I was on the verge of getting a plugged duct . . . but not quite there and the let down was painful. It went a way on it's own. Occasionally it will mildy creep back up but it has been around a time when DS has adjusted his schedule and I'm slightly engorged.

I agree with the PP too, if it really seems painful or something you are concernced about healthwise you should definitely seek the attention of your OB, Mid-wife, or and LC.

My Little Reverse Cyclers
    *DS born July 2006, nursed 3 yrs 10 mos!
    *DD born January 2011, happily nursing and bucking the bottle just like big brother
    *One Angel baby we sadly never met July 2009

Happily married to an amazing man who puts up with all my craziness since 1999.