Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it possible not to produce any milk?

Default Is it possible not to produce any milk?

I'm due in January and was talking to my husband about breastfeeding. He mentioned that his mom was not able to breastfeed b/c she didn't have any milk. I told him she probably confused the first few days of colostrom with not producing any milk the she probably stopped after that, which may have caused her breasts do dry up. Could I be right?
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: Is it possible not to produce any milk?

not sure of your dh age, but i know that my mom said she wanted to bf, but the nurse came in and gave her a shot that my mom thought was for pain relief, but came to find out a day later it was to dry her up b/c her ob/gyn thought "she would be better off not bf"!!! my mom kicks herself for not paying more attention and for not making a stink back then!! i was born in 1977, and i have heard a few others talk about "the shot to dry you up", maybe that was the fad? we just had this discussion tonight and i said JOKINGLY "boy, i bet i could win a lawsuit now, maybe if they hadn't had bad judgement i would never have developed diabetes!" i have been type 1 diabetic for 21 years, and you can sue over anything these days! hopefully some others will chime in with better info! good luck on your new baby!

Quote Originally Posted by nywifey View Post
    I'm due in January and was talking to my husband about breastfeeding. He mentioned that his mom was not able to breastfeed b/c she didn't have any milk. I told him she probably confused the first few days of colostrom with not producing any milk the she probably stopped after that, which may have caused her breasts do dry up. Could I be right?
    IMHO, yep, I think you could be right. Although then she managed to miss the engorgement and leaking that would accompany milk coming in . . . maybe because her breasts never were stimulated to produce much. Or they gave her an injection as the PP said. That didn't work very well for a lot of women, but it did for some.

There are huge numbers of people out there who weren't BF because of such myths, and they perpetuate today. And I wonder how many of them have diseases now that might have been warded off by BF. . .

You know what I would ask DH . .. how his mom's experience could possibly even affect mine! So she couldn't nurse -- won't mean YOU won't be able to.

But you may need to be aware that he has in the back of his mind that "BF doesn't always work" and that he **may** quickly jump to FF/bottles if things don't go smoothly. And your MIL may not be very supportive because sometimes that just happens -- they feel "attacked" for their choice and if you do differently, you're rejecting them. This may NOT be true for your situation at all, but if you haven't thought of this, don't be blindsided if it does turn out to run this way.

IMHO too, I think you are on the right track for figuring out what you want to do, and starting to read up and learn will sure help you
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Hi there

It IS possible, in a few VERY rare cases. But the majority of women have the ability to feed their babies. Unfortunately, as some of the PPs have pointed out, many women have been given misinformation on breastfeeding that damages their breastfeeding relationship. This is why it's so important to educate yourself before your baby arrives!

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Quote Originally Posted by amy View Post
    but i know that my mom said she wanted to bf, but the nurse came in and gave her a shot that my mom thought was for pain relief, but came to find out a day later it was to dry her up b/c her ob/gyn thought "she would be better off not bf"!!!
    My mom just mentioned this to me recently. She also wasn't given a choice and was told after the fact what the "shot" was for. I can't imagine such a thing! Does anyone know what the shot was?

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

when my mom had my brother and me in the early 70's there was only a few doctors in town. The one my mother went to had a wife that couldn't nurse so the doctor told all his patients that they could not because his wife couldn't. My mom told him off a few times and switched to the other doctor in town . Most of the moms my age were never nursed.
    There is lots of bad info out there still today!. You could talk to your mil and ask her a few questions but that might back fire sometimes they get very defensive about it. My mil did. She wanted to talk about it but didn't want to know that breastmilk was beter than formula. My sil's never tried they were looking foward to smoking dope and drinking after the baby came and didn't even want to try. It tied them to the baby ect...
    Also if you have a local lll group try a few meetings before the baby comes, you'll learn so much! You'll hear the other mothers stories of bad hospitals and bad doctor advice and learn what is normal baby stuff. You'll also learn the trouble shooting stuff that every new mom needs to know!
    heck you might even meet some new friends.
    good luck with the baby