Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help 10month old biting!!!!

Question Help 10month old biting!!!!

Hello,my daughter is 10 months old and has recently bitten me twice very hard to where I was in tears and bleeding.A lot of people say to stop feeding her but I did wanted to nurse till she was 1.I dont think I can handle another bite so i think I might start the Bottles Thanks

Default Re: Help 10month old biting!!!!

Ouch! You poor mommy! Biting is tough ... especially when it leaves you anxious about the possibility of it happening again the next time you nurse. But it is just a temporary phase many babies go through, and usually stops within a few days or so. Here are some excellent tips on how to prevent it from happening again and other useful info on biting:

What to do when baby bites.

When baby bites.

You don't have to give up nursing your little one ... it is a problem that is usually easily solved and you can continue to enjoy your breastfeeding relationship with your baby.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I feel your pain--literally! I too have a 10 mth old and she's bitten me a few times to the point of drawing blood. She actually started biting me around 7 mths or so--before she had teeth, but those gums are STRONG! I found that if I reacted with a gasp or by saying ouch she would smile and think I was playing a game. Since then I learned to immediately pop her off and firmly say "no biting". I sit her up and end the nursing session. I now wait until I'm certain she's hungry and solid food will not suffice. She hasn't bitten me in quite sometime.

i know! THAT is some intense pain! Did teeth just recently come in? Every time my son (9mo) got new teeth, the 1st time he would nurse after they srurfaced, he tried them out on me. For him, it was just a phase.

oh, and yes. He smiles and thinks it is cool or something, but I agree. All i had to do was stop and say "no biting" and he would settle. I also noticed he did it more if he was very exhausted and all worked up... much like he bites on his teething toys. It is a release of frustration and that he could not focus.

OUCH! Mine was a biter for a short time also, please hang in there as this too shall pass. When a baby is actively nursing he can not bite you BC his tongue is in the way, the bite comes when they pause or are finished and are playing around. Many moms keep a finger ready to insert at the first sign of a bit, also as soon as their little one starts to play they take them off. Great job for nursing for 10 months!!! Hang in there!

Post Re: Help 10month old biting!!!!

I had no idea about this website until today. My 10 month old DD has began to bite me too. She did at 7 months but then stopped and i had two months of bliss with nursing her. Now she bites me again. This has been going on for almost two weeks now. I am at my wits end. I don't want to stop nursing her yet but if she keeps biting I might have to. To let my nipples heal I bagan to pump and give her a bottle sometimes. SHe does fine with it most of the time. I just can't pump enough. I also heard about breast sheilds. I haven't been able to get to the store to buy them though. We have under the weather.

Well,
    I tried the breast shield last night and she ate from it fine. But then at her early morning feeding she wouldn't take it so I had to nurse without it and she bit me. Later I tried the sheild agai nand the same thing. So I guess I will keep trying it and still pump for night feedings. I don't know. Anyone have any suggestions?

Talking Re: Help 10month old biting!!!!

Hello and thanks to everyone that responed it was all a great help.Well she did stop biting me after those 2 horrible bites I am very happy that I didnt have to stop nursing this is my 3rd baby and the longest I ever nursed was 6 months so with this one Im hoping to go a year.Hopefully the biting wont happen again!!!!!Thanks to all!!!!