Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What can I take?

Default What can I take?

I just found out that I will be on an anticoagulant soon and I was planning on taking fenugreek (had posted a question about this in another thread) to increase supply for an upcoming surgery and when I return to work. Well, I just did some reading and it looks like I cannot take fenugreek with the anticoagulant.

Is there anything else that I can take that yields good results? I need to build my freezer supply for this surgery as I will be away for a night and for when I return to work. I don't want to stop nursing but I know that my supply will drop once I have to pump 3x a day... It did with my DD and I took the fenugreek then but was never on any anticoagulants. I hope someone can offer some help or advice. I really hate the idea of supplementing with formula.

Thanks!
    nikki

Default Re: What can I take?

Why not just try to pump more frequently and for longer periods of time? Chances are you don't even need a galactogogue (sp) if you're milk supply has been fine thus far. Simply increasing the demand should yield you good results. Taking something like fenugreek without increasing your nursing or pumping sessions isn't going to do much for your supply anyhow.

How much time do you have to build up a stash?

>I don't want to stop nursing but I know that my supply will drop once I have to pump 3x a day... <

Hi nikki,
    Other mothers also sometimes find that just pumping while away at work does not produce quite enough milk. Extra pumpings, first thing in the morning and last thing at night can make up the difference. In addition, many babies nurse frequently at night, giving mothers the chance to cuddle and snuggle and keep up their supply.

Did you know that your baby only needs about one ounce of milk for each hour that you are separated?
    If your caregiver is using more than this, you make want to talk to her about other mothering techniques. She may be misinterpreting the baby's fussiness for hunger cues. Perhaps you can leave a sling for your caregiver to use to soothe your baby? You might also want to instruct her not to feed your baby (or only feed a minimal amount,) if you are expected to return within the hour. Nursing at the caregiver's just before leaving in the morning and soon after returning in the afternoon will help to ensure that your baby is content.

Do check out this book from our catalogue. Here is the description:

Nursing Mother, Working Mother
    by Gale Pryor

http://www.lalecheleague.org/Web_sto...d=703288_31269

Mothers who combine breastfeeding with working will find this an immensely helpful and reassuring book. The author includes practical information on planning for and returning to employment; clear, concise tips on breastfeeding; pumping, storing, and transporting milk; and possible alternatives to full-time employment such as job sharing, working from home, and staying home full-time. The book suggests numerous ways mothers can build and maintain closeness with their babies in spite of separation.

Hope this helps,
    LLLnormaR

Quote Originally Posted by LLLCarol
    Why not just try to pump more frequently and for longer periods of time? Chances are you don't even need a galactogogue (sp) if you're milk supply has been fine thus far. Simply increasing the demand should yield you good results. Taking something like fenugreek without increasing your nursing or pumping sessions isn't going to do much for your supply anyhow.

How much time do you have to build up a stash?
    Well, I have until probably the middle of march to build a supply. I am supposed to start this medication soon though (and I do not want to), so I am postponing it until about a month or so until my surgery is scheduled (not till June). I don't have a good electric pump yet but I am looking for one. Money is tight with me not working and the bills from delivery coming in. So far my supply seems ok but the past 3 nights my little one has started sleeping longer between feedings, which is fine with me... I just try to wake up at his missed feeding or before he does in the morning and pump then.

I just noticed a drop when I returned to work with my DD and I don't know how willing my employers will be to let me be away from the front office to pump often (they think that if I only do it once a day it should be sufficient)... WRONG!! I pumped 2-3x a day with my DD... so I will have to explain to them and hope they work with me. Plus, when I have the surgery, I will be away overnight as well and I don't know if I can nurse again right away after surgery or if I will have to dump anything I pump out. If anyone has information on anestisia (sp?) and breastmilk that would be great also.

Thanks!

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBMarApr00p55.html

http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...rMay97p39.html

http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...cs%3b108/3/776

Medications and Mothers' Milk, 11th Edition, 2004 by Thomas Hale, Ph.D. Revised and updated every year, this popular reference is complete, easy to read, easily portable, and affordable. Contains reviews of medicationss, vaccines, viruses, and herbal preparations. The reviews include AAP recommendations as well as adult and pediatric concerns and side effects