Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sore Nipples Nursing 15 month old

Question Sore Nipples Nursing 15 month old

I haven't had any problems until about a month ago. She's now only nursing usually once during the day and then several times at night. I'm almost as sore as I was when I first started nursing her as a newborn. Is this normal and what can I do to help the pain?

Default Re: Sore Nipples Nursing 15 month old

I have a 9 month old and when she was 6 months I had the same thing happen. My nipples looked pretty normal, but were SOOOO sore. In fact the pain would increase after my milk would come in. Well, I called my doctor and I had thrush (nipple yeast infection). I was given a cream to apply to my nipples twice a day. I did not treat my daughter - she didn't really have any signs of thrush (they said look for vaginal yeast infection or yeast in the mouth that looks like curds on insides of cheeks). It went away in a few days. I had to be very careful with what I ate to keep the yeast from growing again (no sugar - yeast thrives on sugar). I haven't had any problems since.
    Kristy

Ouch. I HATE sore nipples.

Could be thrush, as the previous poster described.

Could be a new latch problem. Has she recently cut new teeth? Or is she working on molars? As our nurslings get older, we all tend to get a little sloppy about latch. Make sure she opens wide, takes plenty of the areola in her mouth, has her tongue extended under your nipple, and that the nipple isn't coming out pinched at the corners or beveled like a new lipstick.

Another thing to consider is your menstrual cycle. Has it returned? Can you link the soreness to a particular phase of your cycle? Any chance you could be pregnant?

--Rebecca

I do not think it's thrush, I looked online at the symtoms and other than being sore I do not have any and neither does my baby.

About menstrating.. good question. My daughter is 15 months now and I have only had 2 periods since having her. Those were back when she was 10 and 11 months old. When I was pregnant with her I knew almost immediately, but now I do not know what's going on with my body. I've been throwing up off and on since the beginning of January, but I also have been battling allergies and so I thought that was the cause. Other than that and feeling bloated off and on (even while eating healthy) those are the only symptoms. Do you think it's my period trying to come back after all this time or should I take a pregnancy test? (I just don't want to assume that it's pregnancy and waste the money for the test if it's just paranoiya on my part) Thanks.

PMS and early pregnancy symptoms have a lot of overlap. The nipple soreness could be due to either one. But... if the soreness has been going on for a whole month ... I don't think it's just a brief thing like ovulation causing it.

I would test, in your shoes. But I'm one of those control freaks who lacks patience.

--Rebecca