Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When did your LO start "nursing" their toys?

Default Re: When did your LO start "nursing" their toys?

My daughter has been bringing dolls and teddies for me to nurse for a long time, since maybe a year old. It was later that she started having teddies and playmobil people nurse eachother. She only recently (she's now 27 months) started nursing them herself. Always treats that as a big joke, whereas she sees it as normal behaviour when teddy asks to nurse. I think it's a big imaginative leap for her to get the idea of "nannies" existing anywhere other than on my body.

My son is 3 1/2 and he sees me nurse my dd and one day he went and got his leap frog tad stuffed animal and said i have to feed my baby and lifted his shirtput his baby to him. It was so cute i was trying not to laugh and then dh told him that daddies don't feed babies like that and he gave ds a bottle and showed him how to feed his baby that way and told him only mommies can feed babies with the boobie. It was so sweet not sure if ds understood but it was so cute and now when i feed dd my ds goes and gets his baby and feeds it also but with a bottle he hasn't tried to bf since hubby talked to him it was so cute when he did it and the conversation was a sweet one.

When DS2 was about 3 months old, my first son decided he wanted to see what all the hype about my breast pump was. He put the funnels up to his chest and looked at me and said, "See Mommy, I get Gage's milk too!" I about died and I DID have a camera handy! I love that picture. It will forever be in my "Mommy's most treasured pictures" box!

i work ft, so pumping and using ebm is common to my 6 year old when i am at work. the other day, as i was nursing the baby, my 6 year old came down with his "baby" in the sling, he was nursing her with (as he called it) "the milk her mommy pumped for her when she was at work" although he had the doll to his chest, while in the sling!!! LOL!!!

Ah, yes Leila's little black rag doll "PeppermintPatti" nursed for a couple sporadic months when *Mama* was about 12-18 months old She also liked to sling Patti inside her velcro Zoo monkey

AMY ~ that is sooooo sweet!!!
    ~ Tiffany

Child Passenger Safety Technician
    Home/unschooling mama to my Kindergartner!
    Leila Maribelle self-weaned at 4 years old....

Hi, everyone, I have to share this one! Yesterday, my daughter "nursed" MY BREAST!!! She said, "Do you want to nurse too, nanny?", and she put my breast to her chest. Wow! It does your head in.

Quote Originally Posted by emilyw View Post
    Hi, everyone, I have to share this one! Yesterday, my daughter "nursed" MY BREAST!!! She said, "Do you want to nurse too, nanny?", and she put my breast to her chest. Wow! It does your head in.

Oh, that is hilarious and so incredibly sweet! I love how small children personalize the things that are most important to them. I suspect your daughter is going to grow up with some incredible skills in nurturing and a marvelous capacity for compassion.

My 2.5 yo has a special place she likes to nurse her toys at: the bottom step to the upstairs. Its out of the way; quiet, private. She'll nurse them anywhere, but really likes to sit there and nurse. "Blue Baby," "Pink Baby," "Ducky," and even Elmo. She also nurses them in her sling (used to be for her when she was tiny). But she's just started to lift her shirt to do it. Usually she just nurses through her clothes. When she was younger she had me nurse her toys. It felt pretty silly and I'm glad she does it herself now. She told me the other day that Ducky and Blue Baby don't nurse in bed anymore. Apparently she is nightweaning them.

I love that about the night-weaned teddies.

Now I think my DD has gone through all the possible permutations. Yesterday, she told me to pretend to be sad. So I did. She said, "Don't worry, it will be OK. Do you want nanny?" and she lifted up her shirt for me. I have to say, I was really touched. There's a part of me that feels sad sometimes about how my DD seems to focus a lot of her love for me onto my breasts and elbows: they don't challenge her or try to get her dressed, so they become Good Mom and I'm Bossy Mom. So I was happy to get nursed. I'm not going to encourage a lot of repetition, but it was really sweet.

My 5yo son is very fond of switching roles -- he will ask that we pretend that he is Momma and I am Michael. Not so much recently, but sometimes this role-switching involved him wanting to nurse me, always with much giggling and never with any actual suckling! Just fun silliness.

I guess what all this playacting around nursing suggests is that breastfeeding is meaningful to older nurslings in ways that go FAR beyond milk. Breastfeeding is woven into the fabric of a child's life and worldview, and sometimes they let us see the patterns those threads make in their minds, through their play.