Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need help, please!

Default Need help, please!

I am confused, overwhelmed, and discouraged. Please help! I breastfed my two older sons for 5 and 9 months, so I have some bf experience. Now I have a preemie daughter (30 weeks) who is now 9 weeks old (cga -1 week). I was pumping exclusively, but wanted to switch to bf'ing. The past week and a half I have been mostly bf'ing. However, she doesn't seem to be getting any stronger or better at it. She will stay on for 10-15 minutes, but will usually only take one side and then falls asleep so hard I have to pump the other side. Right now my main question is this: why doesn't she ever wake up or want to eat more often? She will eat about every 4 hours, but not like you'd expect every 2-3 which is what they say at the doctor. Should I worry? Her doctor seems happy with her weight (3 lbs 6 oz at birth, 5 lbs 10 oz at 8 weeks). I feel like something is wrong. Shouldn't she cry to eat. (I know all you moms who are worn out with bf'ing all the time are rolling your eyes. I was that way with my boys.)I just need some reassurance this is the right thing. She drinks 60-80 cc of bm from a bottle, and I know she doesn't get that from me on one side in 10-15 minutes. Please help.

Default Re: Need help, please!

First I want to say that it's wonderful that you have her nursing!! If she is gaining weight well, I would worry less. That and having enough wet diapers. My DS would only nurse one side in the early weeks and he would fall asleep too. He did nurse a lot more often, though. Being a preemie, she might just get worn out easily. Hang in there.....we worry when they nurse too often and then when they don't nurse enough LOL Great job getting a preemie nursing. You'll get lots of support here....keep reading and asking questions!

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your baby! It is perfectly normal for your Preemie to be sleepy and not cry for food. I think my daughter didn't cry for food until she was 2.5 months old (she was 33 weeks). Remember that right now she is supposed to be safe and sound inside your body, so life is really difficult for her. She's still working on growing and developing, and that takes a lot of effort so she will sleep a lot and get worn out easily. As long as the doctor is happy with her weight gain, I wouldn't worry. I would however wake her every 2 hours to eat. Don't worry if she only feeds from one breast and seems to only eat for a short time, but do offer frequently. It may be awhile before you are nursing on demand, before she is strong enough to demand , so you need to remind her to eat. Please let me know if you have any other questions and feel free to PM for anything. I know how hard it can be to have a Preemie - all the "regular" parenting seems to go out the window - but know that exclusively nursing is quite possible and it sounds like you are well on your way. Go you for doing it!

Bless your little heart and congrats on your new baby. I was a nanny for 28 week old twins who were formula fed but on all sorts of monitors, O2 etc... I remember that they would tire very easily as well. As long as she is gaining I would say that that is great! As the pp said I would try to nurse her every 2 hours. It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job! Hang in there, before you know it she will be running around with your boys! Brittan

Quote Originally Posted by kst7399 View Post
    Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your baby! It is perfectly normal for your Preemie to be sleepy and not cry for food. I think my daughter didn't cry for food until she was 2.5 months old (she was 33 weeks). Remember that right now she is supposed to be safe and sound inside your body, so life is really difficult for her. She's still working on growing and developing, and that takes a lot of effort so she will sleep a lot and get worn out easily. As long as the doctor is happy with her weight gain, I wouldn't worry. I would however wake her every 2 hours to eat. Don't worry if she only feeds from one breast and seems to only eat for a short time, but do offer frequently. It may be awhile before you are nursing on demand, before she is strong enough to demand , so you need to remind her to eat. Please let me know if you have any other questions and feel free to PM for anything. I know how hard it can be to have a Preemie - all the "regular" parenting seems to go out the window - but know that exclusively nursing is quite possible and it sounds like you are well on your way. Go you for doing it!

I agree about waking her up. Preemies will sleep their life away and only cry when you mess with them, or that's what my daughter did (34 weeker). I woke her up max every 3 hours to nurse. If she didn't take both sides, I did the same thing and pumped out the other side, but then would wake her in 2 hours or so, if she took both sides I'd let her sleep for 3 hours. That is great about the weight gain, it took Madeline about 2 1/2 months to start putting on actual weight, more than just a oz or two, then it was packed on her. Excusivly breastfeeding is possiable for a preemie, once we got her home she did not recieve any formula, only breast. She was exclusivly breastfed for her 1st year (she turned a year old on 10/11). Your doing a great job!!!! If you need anything, just ask!!!

Congratulations mom! It sounds like you should give yourself and your precious baby a little more credit. She is gaining weight! That's wonderful! You're doing great and a lot better than you probably realize.

I don't have premies but my twins also slept alot in the beginning...they were ft (38wks). All babies can stay sleepy. I know they tell you they should be eating every 3 hrs and that is probably true but all you can do is try your best. There were times when my boys would only eat for 5 - 10 min. after 4 hrs. That went on for a long time. They're now 10.5 lbs. and almost 12lbs at 2.5 months.

Just keep trying to get her to wake earlier...STRIP HER! and keep on pumping! Just think of the great frozen supply you will have! (If you freeze).

And remember, we are here for you. IM me if you'd like or just keep coming and asking. You have found a wonderful support group here. I also BF my first 2....12 yrs ago and wish I had tried to find LLL support back then.

Good luck
    Mel

Congrats on continuing to BF! That is a great accomplishment and you should be very proud of yourself. My DS was 7 weeks early and I had the same concerns. He also wasn't very thrilled with BFing at first. What worked for me was continuing to put him to breast often. At first they won't wake unless you wake them. My advice would be (if this is possible for you) do nothing for the next few weeks except devote your time to BFing your LO. Let the chores go for awhile and focus on building your BFing relationship. It will get better. I woke my DS every 2 hours during the day to feed and every 3 hours at night. Put her to the breast and stimulate her to keep her awake long enough to eat. Allow her to eat at one breast until she's done then offer the other one. Mine fell asleep also at first pretty quick. I alternated BFing and bottle feeding EBM until I was sure that he was getting enough. As your LO gets closer to your due date she will start waking and letting you know she's hungry. When that happens do more BFing less bottles. My DS is 2 days old corrected and is finally strictly BFing. You will do it please don't give up. It will get easier and you and your LO will be so happy that you pushed through this hard time. If she is giving you enough wet diapers and gaining then she's getting enough. Keep her at the breast as much as you can and she will get it!! Good luck!

Hang in there! You're doing the best thing you can do! Not much for me to add....lots of great stuff in reply already, but one thing I wanted to tell you...My dd was 6 weeks premature. I also had the issue of her not nursing for very long at each feeding. But once, while we were still in the NICU, our nurse weighed her before she nursed and then again after she nursed just to get an idea of how much she was getting and while I can't remember how much she got exactly, I do remember it was way more than she was being fed by bottle and way more than they expected her to get. And she only nursed for 9 minutes. My point is your LO may be getting more than you think....if the weight gain is good, everything is probably fine! Keep it up!