Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it too late?

Default Is it too late?

My son will be 4 months old on the 18th. My milk never really came in that I noticed (never got engorged), but he has been EBF minus a few bottles the first two weeks. I barely make enough his weight is starting to slow down and Im getting worried.

I don't know if because we got off to such a rough start that Ive missed the window. I read the first 12 weeks are crucial. Im beyond that point now. I have tried all the supplements, but I am not a good pumper. I try to pump at night but I end up failing at that task. I do pump once at night to try to have bottles for the 2 days I am at school.

I have read of women who relactated, but those are usually moms who had a full supply from the time they actually did breastfeed. I really want to increase just a little bit. I pump 2oz every 2hours (thats when I dont nurse him). I would love to get to 3oz. IT's not a tall order, but one that seems so far away and almost in not impossible to achieve.

I know some will say its not all or nothing. My son doesn't tolerate formula. I tried a couple times and he cried for a couple days till it worked out of his system.

Any advice is appreciated
    Last edited by @llli*irsheyez76; October 16th, 2010 at 03:36 PM. Reason: typo

Default Re: Is it too late?

It is the skin to skin contact that releases the oxytocin which helps boost your milk production.... does he fully refuse the breast??

the best advice I have is to get him on the breast as often as possible and try to supplement less because every ounce of formula he gets is an ounce of breastmilk your body doesn't make...

Pumping is not a good indicator of how much milk your body can make because baby can get so much more than a pump!
    Rosemary 9-16-09 9lbs 11oz 21inches
    Laura K - FT SAHM at 17 months! and still comfort nursing for sleep

He will nurse forever it just doesn't help my supply. He had a tongue-tie we had clipped at 8 weeks, but it looks like it grew back. His latch isnt great as to why I think my supply doesnt improve from nursing alone. Currently he is not on formula he just gets breastmilk through a bottle when Im at school or just from the boob.

so his growth slowed? it didn't stop right? how are his diapers?

it seems like you have a great supply if he is still growing and poo/peeing?

I wouldn't worry about it I never get engorged, never have leaked and very rarely have my breast even felt hard from being full... so I would say unless his growth and developement have stopped he is probably fine and going through the changes like every baby!
    Rosemary 9-16-09 9lbs 11oz 21inches
    Laura K - FT SAHM at 17 months! and still comfort nursing for sleep

My milk never really came in that I noticed (never got engorged)
    You managed to EBF your baby for 4 months: trust me, your milk came in!!! Experiencing engorgement is not necessary to successful breastfeeding.

I barely make enough his weight is starting to slow down and Im getting worried.
    Can you post his stats (birth weight, lowest weight, weight at each checkup)?

It is normal for a baby's weight gain to slow down. When it happens depends on the baby and the level of activity- very active babies often slow down before their more sedentary peers because they allocate more calories to motion, instead of packing them on as fat.

I don't know if because we got off to such a rough start that Ive missed the window. I read the first 12 weeks are crucial.
    You haven't missed the window because there isn't one. You can increase supply at ANY time, not just the first 12 weeks.

I have tried all the supplements, but I am not a good pumper. I try to pump at night but I end up failing at that task. I do pump once at night to try to have bottles for the 2 days I am at school.
    It's okay not to be a fabulous pumper. Many moms who have totally normal, even abundant supply, are not great at pumping. It's a learned skill, and not all moms respond well to pumping or to the pump they are using.

As for supplements, they can only get you so far. If you want to increase supply, more nursing or more pumping will do you more good than all the supplements in the world.

I pump 2oz every 2hours (thats when I dont nurse him). I would love to get to 3oz.
    You don't need to relactate. That's for moms who have lost their supply for some reason. It sounds like all you need is to increase supply just a bit. This link should help:http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html

FTR, 2 oz every 2 hours is not bad! It's pretty normal.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Birth weight was 10lbs 5oz
    His lowest weight was 9lbs 5oz.

Unfortunately I cant remember them all
    6 weeks he was roughly 10lbs 10oz
    11 weeks he was 12lbs 12oz.
    He is currently 14lbs 6oz at 4 months.

He has only gained 4oz in 2 weeks. I havent weighed him in 2 weeks and we both are getting over a cold so I am not sure if he lost weight when my milk went down. Its coming back up and I am reweighing him on Thursday.

I just need to figure out a way to increase my supply just a little bit! An LC says to pump 20x a day for 5 minutes for the weekend. Anyone hear of this working?
    Last edited by @llli*irsheyez76; October 16th, 2010 at 09:15 PM. Reason: typo

Based on what you've posted, I'm thinking your baby's weight is fine. It's okay for a baby to wiggle around on the charts. And it's okay for a baby- especially an older baby- to slow or pause in weight gain, particularly during an illness. Growth isn't always steady from week to week, or month to month- sometimes a baby allocates his calories more or less equally to height, weight, and motion. Other times, he expends most of his calories on growing in length, or height, and as he gets older, he'll spend more and more on motion.

So, basically, I wouldn't be too concerned.

I just need to figure out a way to increase my supply just a little bit! An LC says to pump 20x a day for 5 minutes for the weekend. Anyone hear of this working?
    This should work well. I've done it and pumping is a great way to increase supply, provided you respond well to the pump. Not all pumps are created equal- so to give yourself the best chance of success, use a high-quality pump, combine pumping with hand expression and breast massage, and make sure you have properly fitted breast shields.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"