Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: not pooping...causing vomitting

Default not pooping...causing vomitting

My LO hasn't pooped for 7 days. I've heard that they can go long periods without pooping. However, my concern is that she's also been vomitting the past couple of days in the evening...A LOT. And I don't know if it has to do with her not pooping...e.g. there's no more space in the tummy for food.

This has happened before where the no pooping and vomitting has sort of gone hand in hand. Am I nuts or is this possible?

Also, is using a glycerin suppository for babies very bad??? I used it the first time and she went, before the suppository even melted so I think she just needed a little help. Yesterday, at the advice of a nurse, I used a rectal temp to see if it would help her, but it didn't. I was thinking of using a suppository today, but not sure if healthy for her. Should I just wait it out? I'm just concerned that she's uncomfortable and the vomiting.

Default Re: not pooping...causing vomitting

I do not think you should use anything like a suppository!! I would see your pediatrician immediately! Especially because of the vomit. What colour is the vomit?? If it is yellow or green you need to contact a dr. asap!!
    This is from Baby Center.com
    How can I tell if it's something serious?Throwing up can signal a serious health problem. Call your pediatrician at once if your baby is vomiting and has any of the following other symptoms:
    • A swollen, tender abdomen. This could be a sign of a buildup of fluid or gas, a blocked intestine, or some other problem in the digestive tract.

• Convulsions. A seizure or convulsion, caused by a surge in the brain's electrical impulses, could be the result of a high fever, a serious infection, or a form of epilepsy.

• Strenuous, repeated vomiting or vomiting that continues beyond 24 hours. If your baby has regular violent vomiting episodes but shows no other signs of illness between them, it could be a sign of epilepsy. If he regularly throws up when exposed to certain people or places — such as the doctor's office or daycare — it could be a sign of stress.

• Signs of dehydration, including decreased urination (wetting fewer than five or six diapers a day), dry lips and mouth, crying without tears (note: it takes two to three weeks for a baby to shed his first tears), sunken eyes, excessive sleepiness, and depression of the "soft spot" on your baby's head.

• Blood or bile (a green substance) in the vomit. A little blood in the vomit is usually nothing to worry about. This may happen when the force of regurgitation causes tiny tears in the blood vessels lining the esophagus. Your baby's vomit may also be tinged with red if he has swallowed blood from a cut in his mouth or a nosebleed within the last six hours. Call your doctor if your baby continues to have blood in his vomit or if the amount is increasing. The blood could be bright red, or it may resemble dark coffee grounds. The doctor will probably want to see a sample of the vomit if it contains blood or bile, so distasteful as it is, you should try to save some. Green bile can indicate that the intestines are blocked, a condition that needs immediate attention.

• Violent, persistent vomiting within half an hour of eating. This may be due to pyloric stenosis, a rare condition that is most likely to begin when your baby is a few weeks old but could show up any time before he reaches 4 or 5 months. Babies with pyloric stenosis vomit when a muscle controlling the valve leading from the stomach into the intestines has thickened so much that it won't open up enough to let food through. The problem is easy to fix with minor surgery, but does require immediate medical attention. Contact your pediatrician as soon as possible.

• Lethargy or severe irritability. Though it's rare in babies, both symptoms in conjunction with vomiting could signal lead poisoning. Your pediatrician will perform a blood test to confirm the diagnosis.

Should I give my baby any medications to help him feel better?
    Don't give your baby any anti-nausea medications (prescription or over-the-counter) unless your pediatrician recommends them. And never give medications containing aspirin to babies, including Pepto-Bismol. Aspirin can make children susceptible to Reye's syndrome, a rare but potentially fatal illness.

Please take your little one to the doctor immediately.

Definately call your doctor.

This same thing happens to us. Our baby goes days and days without pooping and then she starts spitting up a lot more. On the recommendation of the doctor, we give her a glycerine suppository and she poops and everything is fine. But don't give that to her without talking to the doctor first!! They need to know what is going on.