Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 week old went 8 hours between feedings

Default 3 week old went 8 hours between feedings

I know this is supposed to be a mother-to-mother forum so I hope it's not a problem if a father asks a question. If so, just ignore me.

Anyhow, we generally wait for our son's hunger signs before we feed him. So when we hear him fussing or smacking his mouth at night we get him up and feed him. Sometimes we have tough nights of 1 to 3 hours but usually he goes 4 or 5 hours from start of feeding to start of feeding. Last night he went 8 hours from start of feeding to start of feeding.

Is this sort of thing common for a 3 week old? Should we be setting alarms to wake him up every 3 to 4 hours to feed him or should we just continue to feed him when he's displaying hunger signs?

Default Re: 3 week old went 8 hours between feedings

It okay for dads here too!
    At this young, it is best to feed your LO as often as possible, although I have heard that babies can start to go longer at night. I personally wouldn't go much longer than 4 hours at night...to ensure you are establishing a good supply. Here is a good link that says you should wake baby and what to expect: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/ne...tml#afterweek1
    Hope that helps and Congratulations on your new little one!

I agree with the PP. In the early months you should continue to do night feedings. It is possible your LO slept through. My LO would starve if I let him in the first 8 weeks. He typically never let me know he was hungry. Of course this all changes when they get a bit older.

For now, I would set your alarms. Good luck!!
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

Yeah dad! I LOVE to see dads really interested in successful breastfeeding and I am so excited to see a dad so interested that he will even ask questions!!!

I'm with the previous posters. Some really young babies crave sleep over eating and will sleep through necessary feedings. At three to six weeks, I would probably aim for every 4-5 hours. We had a sleepy (and small) baby and had to wake him for feedings for the first 2 months. Once we were comfortable with his weight gain, we relaxed a little. Good luck... and stick by that breastfeeding mama of yours!!!

Usually we recommend that if you want your baby to sleep longer at night you should aim to feed them about every 2 hours during the day, then at night you really should encourage them to eat if they are creeping toward 5 hours. When you go much longer you run the risk of not stimulating the breasts enough to make milk, also some small babies will have a dip in their blood sugar, hence becoming more sleepy, etc... A very dangerous cycle for a small sleepy baby. My son was that way and we had to wake him around the clock for a long time. If you want to tank him up during the day, then I would say a 5 hour stretch at night would be fine.

One question -- how has your son's weight gain been since birth?

It's not _common_ for a 3wo to sleep 8 hours at night, no. But it's not necessarily harmful, either. It all depends on how well he is nursing the rest of the time -- which you can gauge by his diaper output and his weight gain over time.

If there are any concerns about his rate of weight gain, or about your wife's milk supply, then they should be nursing through the night (every 3-4 hours at least). But if all is well, then let him sleep until he cues to nurse.

--Rebecca

Yeah that's what I was going to say. I fed Kaytlynn about every two to three hours during the night and there were a few nights by week 3 and 4 that she would sleep all night. Now, I'm not thinking it was actually 8 hours but it was about 6 or 7 hours. Maybe try putting him to bed a little later that way you still get a good nights rest. KWIM.
    It really is GREAT to see a daddy that cares so much and is interested in bfing and helping momma. I wish more daddy's would become more interested. WTG DADDY!

YEA DAD!!
    The lc at my hospital told me that dd should go no longer than every three hours between feedings with one four hour stretch at night for the first 6-8 weeks. She probably would have slept through the night if we hadn't gotten her up (I emphasize that this was a WE effort for a few weeks!). Come to think of it, she mostly slept-nursed through the whole thing. At about 2 months, I started getting up about midnight to feed her a little bit, sometimes she woke up again for more and sometimes she didn't.

Thanks for the replies all. We called the on call pediatrician and he said that it isn't uncommon for babies to skip a feeding and that if there weren't any other signs of trouble (if he isn't floppy, excessively crying, very lathargic, has trouble breathing, etc.) that it wasn't a big deal though he wouldn't make a habit of it. Also he shouldn't do that twice in a row for sure.

William doesn't show any of those signs and his weight gain has been spot on. He eats between 9 and 10 times per day and his weight is doing just fine. He started in the 50th percentile for weight and he is still in the 50th percentile. Also he has 4 to 6 poos and 6 to 8 pees a day so that looks good too. Mom's milk seems to be producing just fine too. So nothing to worry about it doesn't look like. Thanks for all the replies

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Lane; October 16th, 2006 at 01:45 PM.