Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: constant (and i mean *constant*) suckling

Unhappy constant (and i mean *constant*) suckling

hi.

my 6 month old baby is a constant suckler. i am a single mom who has been co-sleeping with levi since birth. i realized about a couple of months ago that he needs to suckle at night every half hour. everyone asks if he sleeps through the night, and the answer is yes, but i don't. he's constantly rooting for my nipple and finds it, and suckles. the result is that he won't sleep without my nipple in his mouth, and i've got a really really bad back, and am simply not sleeping at night. i have tried a pacifier, and he's not interested. i've tried patting his back...nothing works. he wiggles and writhes and punches and flops until i give in. last night i gave up and put him in his crib, put earplugs in and went to sleep on the couch.

since i don't have anyone to help me out with this i'm super frustrated. i can't take it anymore, but at the same time i don't have anyone to provide relief.

i hate to make him go cold turkey, because i feel we'll both be wrecks, but i'm at my wit's end.

any thoughts?

thanks!

Default Re: constant (and i mean *constant*) suckling

HI! Congratulations on making it this far alone. I have a couple of suggestions. Both worked for me when I have been "touched out" my baby never woke up every half hour but from two to four and1/2 months he would take my finger as a paci. He would go to sleep this way after nursing ay bedtime and usually suck my finger for for almost two hours straight. I could sleep like this. I would spoon w/ him,put the arm against the bed in his mouth and have it UP propped on pillow so that when he fell asleep I could get it away from him w/out having to pull it out from under him. Does that make sense?
    THe 2nd thing I have done is keep bottles w/ both BM and water after the 6 month point so he could suck on something besides me!!! This may not work as well because you do have to grab the bottle from the bedside to feed him, but if it's only acouple sucks ...I often found it was better for me not to have to be sucked on nonstop. SOmetimes we hit a wall. I agree whole heartedly that some of it has to do w/ sleep. But some of it also has to do w/ our breasts. I hope one of these helps you....your doing an amazing thing!

Just wanted to congratulate you too. I think you're doing great. I didn't start the cosleeping thing for many reasons, so I didn't have to break that habit. (Not that I think it's wrong, I just didn't do it.) I did however have to move dd from a cradle in our room to her crib in her room. We decided to do the CIO thing. Which is by far not anyones favorite thing, however it worked like magic. I have always been told that "Babies don't/won't and haven't ever died from crying." Which is true, but as a mother it's not a fun thing to listen too. I did have to leave and take a shower, or my husband and I would just listen and talk through it. We would wait ten mint. if she wasn't asleep then we would go in and check everything. I would feed her if she would eat, and we made sure she wasn't dirty. If all was good we would start again. We only had to wait for 15 min. the first night and then the next two nights she cried for about 3 min each. After that she was not even bothered by being put in her crib.
    Soo what i'm saying is you may just have to try the CIO thing if all else fails. I hope no one thinks I'm aweful, but as I said it did work for us. Good luck!! You're doing GREAT, we all understand we have to have sleep. Just like anyone else we have to be at our best to be a happy mother. KWIM. ((hugs))

thanks mums for the input and the *encouragement!* i'm always up for trying something new.

i think i have a particularly tenacious little lad. i have tried the CIO, and he will cry for 2 hours. literally! at. the. top. of. his. lungs. it's crazy. i have gone to check on him, make sure he's not being pinched by clothing or with a dirty diaper, checked fingers and toes...anything that might make him cry beyond being angry at me and lonely for my arms...nada. (

one friend's consoling words to me: "i've never seen a man walking down the aisle to get married, attached to his mom's boob."

peace to you.