Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help Lipase or not??

Default Help Lipase or not??

I am exclusively pumping for my 2nd son. With my 1st son I exclusively breast fed so I never had to deal with the Lipase issue. My milk smells and tastes sweet and fine when it is fresh, but if it's been in the fridge for more than 24 hours or frozen and thawed it has a very strong vitamin smell and taste. Is this normal? Also I take it you have to scald it to get the lipase taste to go away?????? Does scald mean to bring it just before a boil???? Please help!

Default Re: Help Lipase or not??

The lipase problem is when your own milk contains enough of the lipase enzyme to begin digestion of the milk. Cool huh, for a baby who is on the breast we supply the initial enzyme to get digestion going. but who would want that in milk that needs to be stored? no one. so while the millk is still fresh bring it to just under boil. you will see it shimmer. then allow it to cool and then store it.
    If you do produce an oversupply of lipase the milk gets a smelly soapy film or crust. its gross but normal but you don't really want to give it to the baby, so just heat and store you will be fine.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

check out the lipase sticky in the milk storage forum for more info
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*esthervegan View Post
    The lipase problem is when your own milk contains enough of the lipase enzyme to begin digestion of the milk. Cool huh, for a baby who is on the breast we supply the initial enzyme to get digestion going. but who would want that in milk that needs to be stored? no one. so while the millk is still fresh bring it to just under boil. you will see it shimmer. then allow it to cool and then store it.
    If you do produce an oversupply of lipase the milk gets a smelly soapy film or crust. its gross but normal but you don't really want to give it to the baby, so just heat and store you will be fine.
    So scalding it after it's been frozen won't work
    I have at least 2.5 months worth of frozen milk that I think is ruined from lipase!!!! I've read that there is no known method other than scalding before you freeze! ahhhhhhhh

sorry, I had the same problem.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I'm dealing with that right now too. It sucks that everything I've stored is most likely bad. I do plan to thaw some of the frozen, one bag at a time and taste it to see if it's good or not. I don't know how long my frozen milk takes to taste icky, but the refrigerated goes icky at about 24 hours. Good luck! Do read the sticky thread. It took me two days to read it all, but it was soooo helpful!