Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby getting air when nursing? Clicking noise.

Default Baby getting air when nursing? Clicking noise.

My daughter is almost 4 weeks old.
    She has that clicking noise when she nurses, like a kissing sound, which makes me think she's getting too much air.
    She also spits up a lot after nursing, or seems like she has to burp.
    I don't know how to help, every different hold that i try with her - i get the same results.
    the most common hold we use is the cradle position. My son used to use the football hold a lot, but it doesn't work so great with her.
    Any help is greatly appreciated!
    I have a feeling it's all in the way she latches on, but I don't know what it is that I could do differently.
    Also, sometimes she cries while nursing, and yells out. I don't know what's causing this either.

Does this just happen with some babies? Is it possible to correct?

My son breastfed for 5 months, but only rarely on occassions would this happen. With my new daughter, it feels like every feeding.

Thank you!!

Default Re: Baby getting air when nursing? Clicking noise.

Clicking during nursing indicates that the baby is breaking suction for some reason. Sometimes it's because the baby has trouble maintaining the latch, other times it's the baby's way of dealing with a forceful letdown.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Baby getting air when nursing? Clicking noise.

Forceful letdown was what made my ds click while nursing too. It could also be causing the other things too.
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again