Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Transition to Bottle Help

Default Transition to Bottle Help

I need some advice. My baby is not taking the bottle and I need to return to work very soon. We have not found a bottle that my baby loves. We have found bottles that he hates. We have also found bottles that he will let sit in his mouth, gum the nipple, and smile, but not suck. When babies find their "right" bottle is it an automatic attraction (meaning sucking) or is it something we need to work with. For example, how long do you think I need to work with the bottles that he will allow in his mouth before he will start sucking. I am losing time watching him just gum the nipples of bottles and I'm not sure if I should just move on to a new bottle that same day or the next day. Thank you.

Default Re: Transition to Bottle Help

Are you the one giving the bottles? A lot of breastfed babies won't take a bottle from mommy. You might try leaving the house for a bit and letting someone else try giving him one of the not-hated bottles.

A lot of moms here have had a hard time with this and for the most part, baby will eventually take a bottle when mom is gone. There are also alternatives to bottle feeding you might want to look into.

Lots of good information here about bottle feeding a breast fed baby. Good luck!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I like the playtex drop in's because there isn't a ton of cleaning to worry about sanitation and the drop in's are recyclable.
    Have you tried to put something irresistable in the bottle just to get him going? Just once... like a little juice? Just a suggestion.
    Also the nipple speed may make a difference if you haven't tried that yet. I have a 5 month old and she cannot stand the fast nipple right now...she will refuse it ...just seem uninterested or gets mad.

The person responsible for your LO's care while you are at work will be able to bottle feed your baby. Day care providers are used to feeding unhappy cranky babies who miss their moms.
    as your LO gets into a routine with DCP she will fuss less and will readily take a bottle.
    find a nipple that is easy to sterilize, inexpensive and comes in small, medium and large, as your baby's mouth grows you can up the size.

[QUOTE=@llli*pumpinfool;1021614]Have you tried to put something irresistable in the bottle just to get him going? Just once... like a little juice? Just a suggestion.
    QUOTE]

I would not recommend giving the baby juice in a bottle to get him/her interested. This baby may be under the appropriate age for such liquids. Sorry, pumpinfool - no offense meant. I just would hate for her LO to get sick or have problems. Most breastfed babies need to stay on slow flow nipples to avoid troubles with going back and forth to the breast and bottle, as I understand.

I didn't know the drop-ins could be recycled? With plastic bags or??

My DD had a hard time taking a bottle. It was very stressful for me. She won't take a bottle from me, and I like you went through a ton of bottles.

I agree with the above poster in that most babies won't take a bottle from mom. I had to leave the room and even go outside for my DD to take a bottle. I think eventually your LO will take milk at daycare. It may take some time, but it will work out. I know how stressful it is. I'm sorry.

What worked for me was using a latex nipple on the bottle vs. silicone. I use Playtex Drop-ins with a slow flow latex nipple. The latex is a little softer and more "mom-like."

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

It's best to stick with slow flow nipples throughout bottle usage, as they more closely mimic the flow of breastmilk from a breast. I've never changed nipple sizes with either of my kids, but maybe it's the kind of nipple I use. I don't think they even have different sizes. I would also caution you against giving any kind of juice, assuming we are talking about a very young baby here...
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous