Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Returning to work

Default Returning to work

I'm going back to work in a few weeks . Here's my situation. I work 10 hr days 4 days a week, but every week is a different shift (7a-530p, 8a-630p and 830a-7p). I live 30 mins from work and have to drop DD off at Grandma's on the way. So how can I get into a routine where I can still nurse and maybe pump before work? Also, how many times a day should I pump at work? Right now DD nurses every 2-2.5 hours. I'm so stressed about returning to work!

Default Re: Returning to work

It's so hard to leave the babies behind. Did you see the Working & Breastfeeding forum, or the pumping forum? There are lots of folks with similar issues.

Could you nurse when you drop baby off? I work from 7:30 to 5 pm with a drop off of baby at 7 AM and pick up at 5:30 pm. I pumped right when I got to work and then tried to every 3ish hours after that, and then nursed my daughter right when I got home. I only live 5 minutes from my sitter so I didn't nurse her there.

If I were you, I would pump right when I get to work regardless of the day and then at least twice after that. Your body is really good at adapting to slight changes in schedule and it sounds like you'll have the same schedule all week - right?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

First, how old is your baby, and are you struggling with supply issues or has everything been going well with nursing so far? I went back to work when DS was 4 mos. I usually work 10 to 12hr shifts, 8am to somewhere between 6 to 8pm. I had no supply problems. What worked best for me was to nurse right before leaving DS at about 7:30, then pump at work at around 10am, again at lunch sometime between 12 and 1pm, then around 3-4pm and if I was working late again around 6pm. I often skipped the last pumping session, because I was always in a rush to get back to DS ASAP. I so much prefer nursing to pumping . DD is now 12 weeks old, and I plan to follow the same schedule when I go back to work next month.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    It's so hard to leave the babies behind. Did you see the Working & Breastfeeding forum, or the pumping forum? There are lots of folks with similar issues.

Could you nurse when you drop baby off? I work from 7:30 to 5 pm with a drop off of baby at 7 AM and pick up at 5:30 pm. I pumped right when I got to work and then tried to every 3ish hours after that, and then nursed my daughter right when I got home. I only live 5 minutes from my sitter so I didn't nurse her there.

If I were you, I would pump right when I get to work regardless of the day and then at least twice after that. Your body is really good at adapting to slight changes in schedule and it sounds like you'll have the same schedule all week - right?
    I always try to nurse at the latest possible time before i leave - and once before that when we get up so he has a full stomach when i leave. If he eats well before I leave at 730, i wait til 10 to pump. If he doesn't, i pump right when i get to work. I like to pump three times for my nine hours away, so i try to do every 2.5 hours because i have a 30 minute commute, and usually don't pump for the first time til a little before ten. I would say that 3 times during your day would be adequate too - but I would try not to do less than that. I tried switching to two at one point early on and noticed a definite dip in supply.

I also ask that no one feeds my LO 2-3 hours before i get home so he's nice and hungry and nurses well then.

It is SO hard going back to work, I totally empathize with you. I wish every day I had the option to stay home. I was soooo worried that my LO wouldn't know me as well when i went back, wouldn't care that i was gone, wouldn't be excited to see me. All wrong. My DH says that DS is never happier than when i come into the room. He squiggles with joy when i get home every evening. So it is hard to leave - but you gotta do what you gotta do to make your family thrive - and just rest assured that your LO will love you just as much. It's heartwarming to come home at night.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it