Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: mastitis set-back in supply

Unhappy mastitis set-back in supply

I'm currently working through my second bout with mastitis in my right breast. I just had it drained by my MD, but more ducts getting clogged. I only am able to pump 1/2 to 1 ounce from this breast. Due to this decrease in milk supply I've been supplementing after each session at the breast. Is there hope for unclogging these ducts without surgery? I've tried heat and massage with no avail. Will I ever be able to produce enough milk for my 12 week old without having to supplement? If I get surgery (the doctor is leaning this way) will I be able to lactate again after taking medication to stop my supply? I really want to nurse my baby!

Default Re: mastitis set-back in supply

ouch that sounds painful!

this might be helpful....
    IVe never heard of talking meds to stop milk for surgury???

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...-mastitis.html

Unless there's a problem with both breasts, you should be able to make enough using just the left. (Think of moms of twins: they make enough milk with just one breast per baby.)

Before I resorted to surgery, I would do the following:
    - See a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC. Most docs don't know as much as they think they do about the science of human lactation.
    - Consider working through this bout of mastitis and then trying to nurse with just 1 breast, allowing supply to dwindle in the problematic side.
    - Try taking a soy lecithin supplement.
    - Try changing your pump and/or breastshields.
    - Give it time: sometimes issues with mastitis are caused by a poor latch. Newborn latches, even when perfect, are not as good as those older, larger babies can give you- so problems often go away with time.
    - Get the mastitis milk cultured: you may have a bacteria that is resistant to the antibiotics you're taking.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Andrea, thank you for the link. It was extremely helpful, and I've bookmarked it for a great reference.
    MOMMAL, I am waiting for the sensitivity of the culture, but it is staph that does not show resistance to any meds yet. And after my first bout with mastitis, I visited a lactation consultant in the hospital where I delivered, and she suggested that I supplement until this is cleared. My baby had trouble with significant weight loss in the beginning (over 2 lbs in the first 10 days), and her weight continued to remain steadily low. I do really want to exclusively breastfeed, but don't want to jeopardize my baby's health again.
    I plan to start a lecithin supplement today and am considering the fenugreek/blessed thistle to increase my supply. Is this a bad idea while I am trying to unplug a duct?

My baby had trouble with significant weight loss in the beginning (over 2 lbs in the first 10 days), and her weight continued to remain steadily low.
    Gosh, that must have been really scary!

I do really want to exclusively breastfeed, but don't want to jeopardize my baby's health again.
    I understand completely, and I think that's the right place to be approaching this from.

I plan to start a lecithin supplement today and am considering the fenugreek/blessed thistle to increase my supply. Is this a bad idea while I am trying to unplug a duct?
    Hmmm, I'd say it's a "6 of one, 1/2 a dozen of the other" situation. On the one hand, the supplements should help you increase supply, but on the other more supply could make the plugs worse.

Just a thought- have you tried going braless? Sometimes persistent repeating plugs are caused by a poorly-fitting nursing bra...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

sorry mama! I've had mastitis 4x and 16 months out I am still constantly having to dodge clogged ducts and it's no fun!
    I cannot wear regular bras at all, only those tank-tops with elastic support inside and they have to be loose.
    I've always had OALD/OS so when I tried pumping it made things worse. I had to manually express if I wanted to store any milk or get relief.
    I have to take soy lecithin supp daily, stay away from oatmeal, watch DD's latch, not over-do around the house, and be extremely careful with the bobbies because apparently they are extremely touchy!!!
    I hope you feel better soon.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

I don't understand how your MD drained your clogged ducts. I've never heard of that.
    I have heard of ultrasound treatment to cure clogged ducts. It really works! A physiotherapist trained in this can help you out.
    I had a breast abscess (ouch - the most painful experience ever), and the doc drained it by aspirating it with a needle. Actually, he only got enough specimen to culture, but the next morning about 2 cups of pus drained out the hole. It was an MRSA infection. (check out my blog to read in detail learningmama.com)
    The best cure is usually to keep nursing, even when on medication. Check out nbci.ca for info sheets on that.
    Mom to the most beautiful little lady in the whole world!

Owner of two ginormous breasts and a sore back, but worth the pain

www.learningmama.com