Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9 weeks and HV suggesting formula....again

Default 9 weeks and HV suggesting formula....again

Hi All

My DD is 9 1/2 weeks old I've been attempting EBF, but I have had a few (rare) occasions where I gave formula.

We've had a few problems with DD gaining as much weight as the Health Visitors would like, and so they keep on suggesting I try topping up with formula - which I am not keen to do, as I've been EBF for the last two weeks.

For instance last week DD had not gained any weight at all
    and this week she has gained 4oz.

DD is otherwise doing really well, she's grown (from 51cm at birth to 59cm now)
    she fills plenty of nappies (at least 7 wet and up to three pooy nappies a day)
    She's alert (often too alert and doesn't nap well during the day)
    The doctor said at her 6 week check up that she was incredibly active (would this have any baring on her weight gain?)

After todays weighing, the health Visitor said she would suggest replacing a feed in the evening with formula (she thinks my milk supply is too low in the evenings) she also suggested I arrange an appointment with the GP - but I can't really see what use he would be - I've already had a visit from a lactation consultant two weeks ago, who was happy with my feeding technique. Also surely there are ways of boosting milk production to aviod this if it IS an issue

My question is this - would DD being exceptionally active mean that her weight gain would be less than less active babies? I assume that more activity means more calories burned?

I know DD is lean - she's certainly not chubby, but she wee's and poo's plenty, so I've been thinking that she HAS been getting enough....

Default Re: 9 weeks and HV suggesting formula....again

I would trust your instinct on this. She's got plenty of wet and dirty diapers, is growing lengthwise, and your doctor is happy--sounds like you're both doing great to me. Some babies (mine was one) are just smaller than others, but that doesn't mean they're not healthy, and it doesn't mean they need to fatten up. Keep doing what you're doing!

Can you post your baby's birth weight, lowest weight, and weight at each check-up? On a day to day or week to week basis, a baby's weight gain/length gain may not match the "ideal" (particularly for active babies, as you noted). However, if the overall pattern is of a baby not growing well, then there might be reason to try to alter your feeding strategy.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My pediatrician told me never to replace a feeding with formula because that will lower your supply, he told me if anything to supplement with formula after nursing her. Does she seem fussy or frustrated after nursing in the evening, like she's still hungry? If she seems satisfied then she's probably getting enough, but if she's getting longer and not gaining weight, that means her BMI is going down, which is bad. This may sound dumb, but whenever I have malt-o-meal for breakfast, I notice a significant increase in my supply that day (much more than oatmeal), may be worth a try

I'm not really familiar with the Health Visitor arrangement...what is their scope and purpose? What are their, and your, obligations with regard to the visits and recommendations?
    Mama to Lorenzo, born 4/25/2007. NICU graduate, Gastro-Esohapgeal Reflux, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Sensory Processing Disorder...alive and thriving thanks to breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
    Chinese Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*oliviasmomma View Post
    My pediatrician told me never to replace a feeding with formula because that will lower your supply, he told me if anything to supplement with formula after nursing her. Does she seem fussy or frustrated after nursing in the evening, like she's still hungry? If she seems satisfied then she's probably getting enough, but if she's getting longer and not gaining weight, that means her BMI is going down, which is bad. This may sound dumb, but whenever I have malt-o-meal for breakfast, I notice a significant increase in my supply that day (much more than oatmeal), may be worth a try
    Sorry, not wanting to argue with you here. But -

Feeding any formula at all will impact your supply. If the baby doesn't take the milk from your body, your body does not know to make that milk for tomorrow. Whether you feed the formula after nursing or instead of nursing, it is the same thing. If you do feed formula, you need to pump in addition to nursing the baby.

Also, it is ok if the baby lengthens one week and chubs up the next and so on. Sometimes babies put all of their growing into length for a bit and then back to weight or head circumference, etc. They do not grow in a smooth curve in all directions all of the time.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months