Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Another post about DD being frustrated!

Default Another post about DD being frustrated!

I feel like i'm always writting about the same topic but our situation is not improving!! My DD will be 5 months on the 21rst. As of last friday she weighs 11lb 6 oz she was 7 lb 1oz at birth. She gets very frustrated at the breast when milk stops flowing after the initial letdown. I always try to burp her and get her latched back on, but she will suck a few times and the come off crying. This goes on the whole feed every feed...I keep trying to switch sides. I thought maybe she was distracted but this happens also when I nurse her in her room where it is quiet and the lights are dim. I've tried walking when nursing. Her output is satisfactory but not great and her poops are normal looking.
    A good feed is her staying on for about and eating for about 3 minutes I feed on demand but this is not working. She is usually "eating" every 2 hours. If I put her on more often she just get even more frustrated. She will not nurse for comfort or to put herself to sleep. Also her latch on the left side is shallow. I get her on properly then she pulls herself down the nipple.
    Last night at bedtime I gave her a bottle of EBM containing 2 oz, this was after she refused the breast. She was actually content with this. I know that I don't have the supply to keep up if we switch to feeding EBM.
    I don't have access to LC and my family physician is not an expert by any means. I am a public health nurse and I have some training in breastfeeding so I feel like I have a good knowledge about the basics. It is so hard to see my daughter seeming hungry and not gaining a good amount of weight.

My "gut" is telling me that she is not getting enough but I can't stand the idea of having to supplement since I know my supply will go downhill very quickly My whole family including my DH (who is supportive of whatever I decide) is very pro FF so of course their answer is to supplement. I feel like they all think I am starving DD.

I need help!! Why won't she eat off of me!!

Default Re: Another post about DD being frustrated!

Bumping.

I'm sorry it's so frustrating. It sounds like a really difficult situation to deal with.

Are there any positions where she does better than others? Side-lying or football hold?
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

tell us more about your day..
    How many times would you say in 24 hour she is nursing?

Do you co-sleep? Sometimes lots of skin to skin contact helps them nurse beter and longer.

ARe you back to work?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    tell us more about your day..
    How many times would you say in 24 hour she is nursing?

Do you co-sleep? Sometimes lots of skin to skin contact helps them nurse beter and longer.

ARe you back to work?
    I am on mat leave until May.
    These times are approximate of what a typical day looks like:
    She wake at 7:30
    8:00 - eat about 5 minutes
    9:15-10:30 - nap - try to nurse before hand but she usually fusses
    11:00 - eat
    1 - 3 - try to feed before nap, usually drink for a few minutes before fussing
    3- eat
    the rest of the day is kind of unpredictable, depending how fussy she is. I usually put her to breast 3 more times before bed including the last feed at 7:30
    At night she is up 4 times to eat

I would say she eats well (last about 5-10 minutes at the breast) about 7 times in 24hrs (including the night feeds) and I have to say that after she comes off the breast after drinking she is often still fussy sometimes screaming acting like she wants to eat but refuses to stay latched on. She goes to the breast another 4-5 times when she acts hungry but will become very fussy and again will not stay latched on.
    i hope this makes sense...lol

We do not co-sleep; I don't feel like this is something that would work for our family...

I also have now discovered white patches in her mouth today so now we are dealing with thrush again, 2nd time in a month....I am hoping now with treatment that this will improve our situation!!

maybe you've found your answer thrush can be very painful for them.

more info about thursh
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush/index.html

it does sound like your doing the right things..
    Sometimes they can realy be fussy little things and you never do figure out whats wrong.
    My 2nd baby was very high needs.
    this book realy helped me see the big picture...

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/t051200.asp

and now hes the best big kid ever..

Maybe explore the possibility of reflux or OALD?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the input! It's so hard to see her fussy at the breast especially with her being so small. If she was gainning a little more I know I would be a lot less worried about this. When she is not at the breast she is a pretty happy baby!

Is it possible to have reflux without spitting up?

I haven't read your other post, but are you putting your baby on any sort of schedule or demand-feeding?

If she does seem frustrated at the flow of milk after let-down, I would work on trying to up your supply by 1. bringing her to breast a lot, as much as she'll let you for at least a couple days, then go back to demand feeding after you feel your supply is satisfactory to her. 2. Make sure you are eating and DRINKING enough 3. Look into an herbal supplement such as fenugreek seed pills.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

I do not want to worry you even more, but I went through a time when DD1 was about three months old where she was becoming fussy at the breast, pulling my nipples while breastfeeding and just didn't seem satisfied. When I finally called the LC she was not acting like her normal self during the day either, just not as smiley. I did all of those three things and it helped a ton. Within one or two days I saw a huge difference and she was finally content again at the breast. I think I was not drinking enough that was the biggest issue for me, but I also think the fenugreek helped too. (you can search for it under kellymom . com)

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09