Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Grapefruit seed extract for recurring milk blisters/blebs

Default Grapefruit seed extract for recurring milk blisters/blebs

I believe the Dr. Sears web site says massaging the nipple with GSE and olive oil can help to heal and prevent recurring milk blisters/blebs. The web site says mix "a few drops of GSE" with olive oil. I know GSE is strong, so I want to know if anyone knows what the proper ratio of GSE to olive oil is. Thanks!

Default Re: Grapefruit seed extract for recurring milk blisters/blebs

I don't know what the exact ratio is. But I'd guess that a "few drops" would be 2 or 3. When I treat myself for thrush I typically use a ratio of 30 drops of GSE to 1 ounce of water. Overkill perhaps but with thrush I don't mess around, lol.

This is from kellymom.com (not an approved LLL source):

Additional treatments for recurring milk blisters

Lecithin supplements can help to heal and prevent recurrent plugged ducts

Massaging the breast, areola and nipple with a massage oil containing grapefruit seed extract (GSE) can help to heal recurrent milk blisters. To make the massage oil: mix a few drops of grapefruit seed extract or citrus seed extract into olive oil.

Another treatment for persistent milk blisters: Once per day, spray breast and nipple area with a solution consisting of 5 drops of grapefruit seed extract, 1/4 cup vinegar, and 2 cups water.

Vitamin E ointment - applied very sparingly and wiped off before feedings (too much vitamin E can be toxic to baby) - can also help.
    HTH!

Thanks again, Carol.

Should I rinse my nipple of the olive oil/GSE before nursing?

There's no need to do rinse it off unless baby is refusing the breast because of the taste. GSE can be bitter but the olive oil shouldn't pose any issues at all.