Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: First day at nursery - taking little milk

Default First day at nursery - taking little milk

My 6 month old LO had his first full day at nursey today. He was there for 11 hours, but only drank 4 ounces of milk.

This is the longest we have been apart, but will be a typical day when I return to work later this week. I know that some babies will reverse cycle when they go to nursey, but I am concerned for two reasons:

I pumped four times during those 11 hours and got about 15 ounces of milk, so he can't have had enough.

He already often wakes up about every 2 hours at night. I'm not sure I could handle even more nigh feeds with work the next day!

Default Re: First day at nursery - taking little milk

My DS2 did the same thing the first few days I was back to work...but that quickly changed. I was gone 11hrs as well and he started at 8ozs. Within a week he was up to 20ozs Now I get to pump 4x a day and 1x a day on weekends to keep up with my little porker Give it a few days Momma, see what happens

Bfeeding for 6 months! Keep up the good work!

Hi mama!

My lo started dc at 8 mos and was exactly the same way. She has never really drank much more than 8 oz even though I usually pump and send at least 12 oz. It meant a lot of wasted milk which was really frustrating and worrying but we got through it and so will you.
    I'm Sidney, FTM to Stella b. Oct 4 2009.

We and part-time and I'll be liquid gold at work come June.

Thanks for the words of support.

After worrying about how little milk he had yesterday, the little guy had a good bedtime nurse, nursed again a couple of hours later, then slept for 7 hours straight!

He hasn't slelpt for longer than 3 hours in months!

Something I forgot to mention in my concern about the milk is that he ate all the solids (except breakfast, but he had just had a good nurse and often doesn't want much at that time of day). He had two snacks, lunch, dinner and desert. The nursery staff are very good and I know they wouldn't have force fed him (they use alot of finger foods etc to help with this). Alex (my LO) is also very clear when he has had enough and will close his mouth, turn his head away and/or block food with his hands.

He showed all the signs of being ready for solids from 4 months, so we started to introduce suitable foods from 4.5 months. I have been pretty paranoid about giving him too much solid food (3 meals of anything between two spoons to 100g grams, depending on Alex). But now I'm wondering if Alex is just a baby at the more solids sooner end of the needs spectrum. He normally nurses at least every 2 hours during the day and night...

I know I can't judge him on one day alone. Do you think it's ok to offer him more solids? Maybe add a snack time?

Personally, for me, I would prefer that he get more milk than solids, especially at 6 months. Can you mix your milk into solids? Have they tried to feed him the milk with a spoon? Perhaps he doesn't like the bottle. Also, have you checked to see if you have a lipase issue?

There is a sticky in either the pumping or milk storage forum talking about lipase.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Personally, for me, I would prefer that he get more milk than solids, especially at 6 months. Can you mix your milk into solids? Have they tried to feed him the milk with a spoon? Perhaps he doesn't like the bottle. Also, have you checked to see if you have a lipase issue?

There is a sticky in either the pumping or milk storage forum talking about lipase.
    Thanks for the advice. I'm going to look into whether lipase could be a problem. He spent the day with his Auntie today and refused to drink any milk. I'd suggested that she try mixing it with his food, which she did - so he got the BM that way.

He has never accepted a bottle, but has happily been fed from a doidy cup by his dad. I'm at a bit of a loss as to why he won't take it from other people. He has typically been given milk that has been refridgerated before, but his milk this week has all been frozen, so that could be the answer.

DH is going to get some more practice in feeding from a cup this weekend, so we'll see how that goes.

Babies are funny that way sometimes. My daughter hated bottles and I realized when she was almost a year old that I had a lipase issue. Too bad I didn't realize it before. She took the bottles ok and then one day she just refused to after that. I am not sure if we had given her frozen milk and that is perhaps what happened.

Anyway, she finally started to drink it but would only accept the bottle from my husband or our babysitter. Nobody else could give her a bottle. I hope my next baby is not so particular - and now I know about the lipase.

That thread talks about how to treat the milk too so it doesn't become an issue.

Good luck!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Checking your milk for excess lipase is a great idea! I would also like to suggest making smaller bottles... that is, only put 2 or at the most 3 ounces in each bottle... that way if your LO doesn't drink it all, not much milk will be wasted. At my son's daycare, any milk that isn't consumed from a bottle within 1 hour of starting the bottle is tossed out, which makes me . But we solved the problem by only putting 2 ounces in his bottles to start... and if he drank it all, they warmed another 2 ounce bottle. Eventually we increased the amount in his bottles, but the maximum amount he ever took at 1 time was 4 ounces, so I wouldn't recommend putting more than that in a bottle for a breastfed baby.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.