Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Menstration strikes while teething

Default Menstration strikes while teething

Eeek.

So just as my daughter's top teeth are beginning to emerge I start spotting and cramping. No full period yet but it is lurking. She's 9 1/2 months and so far exclusively breast fed on demand we also co sleep and i nurse her at night. Her weight and diapers are still good but I've noticed in the last day or so my supply isn't as much as it was and I'm a little worried.

I can't seem to find a lot about milk production during menstruation. Does anyone have any links about menstruation and supply?

Also, am I insane to think I can prevent my period by nursing and pumping my brains out?

Help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Default Re: Menstration strikes while teething

I have a four month old who sleeps all night so my cycle started at 2 months old because I love to sleep and dont wake up n pump I have a major supply problem the week prior to my cycle, and then it goes right back to normal afterwards. I am thinking of using a supplement like more milk just for that time period, I have heard it really works....maybe it will work for you?

Teeth, periods and B'fding are not friends with each other. Your supply can dip while af is coming back, but it will regulate. You can try and prolong it coming back by b'fding more and pumping, but it will probably come back anyway. Make sure that you are taking in enough fluids and food during this time, also try and eat things that help production, like oatmeal. It does all regulate, but wow does that timing suck!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/natur...s.html#calcium

Low milk supply associated with menstruation: Calcium/magnesium supplement
    Some women experience a drop in milk supply from ovulation (mid-cycle) until the first day or two of the next menstrual period. A woman's blood calcium levels gradually decrease during this period of time, and for some women the drop in blood calcium causes a drop in milk supply. For women who have this problem, calcium/magnesium supplements may be helpful. This practice has also been reported to eliminate most uterine cramping and some premenstrual discomfort such as water retention.

The recommended calcium supplement dosage is between 500 mg calcium/250 mg magnesium and 1500 mg calcium/750 mg magnesium (the higher dosage is generally more effective). Calcium dosages this high should not be taken alone, but as a calcium/magnesium (or calcium/magnesium/zinc) combination. Otherwise the calcium will not be adequately absorbed into your body. The amount of supplement depends on the composition of your diet -- the more animal protein, the more calcium/magnesium needed. If you are a vegetarian or vegan, the lower dosage may work fine for you.

Start the supplement when you ovulate, and continue through the first few days of your menstrual period. If periods are irregular, then begin calcium/magnesium at 14 days after the beginning of your last menstrual cycle, or simply take the supplement every day.

Thanks for the advice. I cracked open some Mother's Milk tea and it is helping the milk. My period seems to have been interrupted and now I've got a nasty head cold.

Sheesh.

Now I'm afraid to take anything for the cold. Can I milk any more advice out of this thread?

<3

On the same website (kellymom) there is a section named "natural treatment for moms" (or something like that) as far as I remember there's something for colds. Since it's a BF page those are probably safe for BF/supply.