Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Stopped Bf 8 days ago and am in PAIN...HELP

Exclamation Stopped Bf 8 days ago and am in PAIN...HELP

i always pumped because my preemie never latched. I pumped for 9 months and have more than enough milk to get him to 1 yr plus weaning to milk. That said, I stopped pumping 8 days ago and am still engorged and in pain. I weaned myself down pumping so I didnt go cold turkey. I ice my breasts, I had cabbage on them for 4 days. I cant take it anymore. I cant sleep, It is painful to sit, stand, hold my son, walk, lift my arms. I am ready to start pumping again just for this pain to stop. I have talk ed to so many different people and no one can give me any other advice besides ice them...Help please I cant take this pain anymore!

Default Re: Stopped Bf 8 days ago and am in PAIN...HELP

I'm an exclusive pumper too and plan to stop at 9 months. Maybe you should pump just a little? Like for 5 mins or so a few times a day just to release the pressure.

Yes, I'd also recommend to go ahead a pump some. It's not good to let yourself stay engorged since that can lead to mastitis (plus its miserable ). Some women's bodies just take longer to adjust to a decrease in breast stimulation than others, so they need to go more gradually. I'd suggest waiting until you feel very full, and then pumping just enough to be comfortable without emptying the whole breast. Your production will gradually decrease--it just might be very very gradually. Also, I've heard drinking sage tea can decrease supply??? I've never known anyone who has used it, but I think I've heard that. Maybe someone else will have more info on that.

i thought that you could get some sort of pill from a doctor to help dry up. I thought they gave women who weren't BF something in the beginning, but i could be totally wrong. not that i think it's the best idea, but i've heard many times not to take things like suddafed because they can cause a decrease in supply. You could take something like that and see. i'm sure this is not the best advice, but suddafed won't hurt you and if it decreases your supply maybe it will help. Good luck. I'm in the same boat being an exclusive pumper and having tons of milk in the freezer and trying to decided when to stop pumping and just use my supply. I hope things get better for you soon.

I'm jealous of all you breastfeeders and pumpers. It's awesome you were/are able to do it.

I was not able to breastfeed my son. (I'd rather not go into it.)

I asked the doctor about the *dry-up* pill and he said they haven't prescribed that for years, which I thought was very interesting since I thought I'd heard about it recently. I wore a tight sports bra taking it off only for showering. I had to wear it about 10 days before I really felt I was *dried-up*. The crazy thing was, that about 6 months later I was in the shower and noticed that I still had a bit of milk. REALLY odd.

Hi Donnie's Mommy,

The painful engorgement you describe sounds like a breast infection ready to happen . It really isn't a good idea to wean "cold-turkey" whether from nursing or pumping.

Ideally, weaning should be slow and natural. When nurslings are allowed to self wean, they typically give up one nursing session at a time, over the course of many months. While pumping for many more months might not seem practical for you, you can cut back on pumping at a more gradual pace that will be healthier for your body.

Many moms have found that cutting out one nursing/pumping session per week to be an effective way to decrease their milk supply without causing plugged ducts or breast infections. Does that sound like something that would work for you?

Take Care,

Tiana

Hi Again,

I just re-read your post and realized you said you "didn't" go cold-turkey . Sorry about that...

What pace did you take then in weaning from pumping? It still sounds like you need to pump some more at this point so that you don't end up with an infection.

Tiana

Nods.

You may find that pumping just enough to relieve the discomfort is helpful. Don't pump until you feel "empty". Simply pump off enough for comfort. You will NOT increase your production or prolong your production by doing this, but you WILL help prevent any problems that you don't want (like mastitis, for example).

The link below is NOT a LLL resource, but it contains a lot of info that you might find helpful during this transition:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning_mom.html

Good luck!

Regarding those "dry-up" pills.....They don't use them anymore because they can be dangerous. A friend of mine took them with her oldest, and ended up having a stroke.