Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hoping this is just a phase

Default Hoping this is just a phase

DD is 6 months old and for the last couple days she isn't eating well. I've noticed a slight decrease in her diaper output (wet diapers) as well. Normally she eats about every 2 hours...she's been acting hungry about that often still, but when I latch her on she will pull off before letdown even occurs, and refuses to go back on. So I'll wait it out a little while and try again, usually to no avail. It takes closer to 4 hours now for her to actually decide to eat, sometimes longer. I wouldn't be so concerned, but this was a very abrupt and sudden change. I'm a little worried about my supply dropping as a result, as well. Between that and the diaper output drop, I'm a little concerned.

I have considered teething but don't see any coming (pedi didn't either this past week). She has also been very very gassy lately! She's always been a gassy baby, but her tummy is constantly gurgling, and her poots are horrendous smelling at times! Sometimes mylicon works, other times it doesn't. She doesn't seem to be in discomfort, just something we've noticed a lot of.

I guess I"m just wanting to see that others have been through this phase and that it, too, will pass. Any advice or suggestions would be fanastic! TIA!
    Blessed to be a mommy to my beautiful Naomi 3/23/10

~I made it exclusively 6 months with no plans to stop anytime soon! ~ Also enjoy ~ Officially loving ~

Default Re: Hoping this is just a phase

There are many reasons a baby might do this, among them teething or an ear infection. If it continues it might be worthwhile to bring her to the ped to get her ears checked just to make sure. It could also be that she's getting distracted, I know DS2 got really difficult to nurse at times at that age.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Has she started any solids? If so, they could be upsetting her tummy. My boy is always gassy (super smelly!) so no help there He also had 2 teeth break through and no one saw them until they came out. No nubs or anything before they came through Sorry not much help....

for bfeeding 6 months! Keep up the good work!

We've experienced the poor eating, too, from time to time. Could be a phase. Could be something worth checking out (second the advice to check with a doctor if she continues to eat poorly). Could be distractibility (my son started having troubles around 6 months).

Have you tried nursing in a calm, quiet place? Maybe even with dim lights? Some place where you can both focus on nursing.

And, if you have a pump, be sure to use it to keep your supply up!
    ...8 months later, and still nursing!

So I have tried the calm/quiet room and it didn't work. I only started solids sporadically here adn there, but after her well visit this week the pedi recommended holding off on those for a bit. Apparently they were the cause of the extra gassiness and an eventual bit of blood in her stool. SO...I'm a little more nervous now about starting solids and will have to find out when to start them so that this doesn't happen again. She seems to be eating *some* better, at least. Maybe that was the problem? Babies are such a mystery Thanks ladies!
    Blessed to be a mommy to my beautiful Naomi 3/23/10

~I made it exclusively 6 months with no plans to stop anytime soon! ~ Also enjoy ~ Officially loving ~