Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleep Transition, Supply

Default Sleep Transition, Supply

I think DD2 (8 weeks) is about to go through a sleep transition, similar to what her sister did. She's been nursing frequently, ramping up, more and more into the evening. When she finally does crash, she's going 4 - 5 hours.

I know most Mom's would be thrilled to have their LO's potentially sleeping through. I am. But.... Her frequent feedings (45 min - 1.5 hours) has my supply on high. Then when she crashes, my supply keeps on trucking and I'm becoming engorged. Last night I actually had to wake her.

Here's my dilemma:

I need to build up a stash (I have to leave her for a full day for a wedding in 3 weeks). I haven't started pumping yet because I didn't want to affect my production. Normally I'd pump in the morning. But she's so hungry in the mornings that she cluster feeds.

I'm tempted to pump in the middle of the night. I shouldn't, because I know that it will continue to cause me to be engorged. But I have next to no time at any other point in the day due to the cluster feedings.

So I guess the question is, when do you pump when you're cluster feeding and the only opening will aggravate engorgement?
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Default Re: Sleep Transition, Supply

Bumping this in case there's anyone with experience.

Is it possible to pump before she wakes up for her first nursing of the day?
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLKaren View Post
    Bumping this in case there's anyone with experience.

Is it possible to pump before she wakes up for her first nursing of the day?
    Sure - the challenge then is just getting my tired butt out of bed.

I did end up pumping last night. DH and I are going out tomorrow night for our anniversary. So it was the first / best opportunity to get a good session. I got 5oz so I plan to pump again tonight. It should easily give me enough to cover tomorrow night (4 - 5 hours).

I'll just have to take the chance on it aggravating my engorgement.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    Sure - the challenge then is just getting my tired butt out of bed.

I did end up pumping last night. DH and I are going out tomorrow night for our anniversary. So it was the first / best opportunity to get a good session. I got 5oz so I plan to pump again tonight. It should easily give me enough to cover tomorrow night (4 - 5 hours).

I'll just have to take the chance on it aggravating my engorgement.
    hmm. I was pumping at 6 weeks because i had to go back to work at 8 weeks - so she's sleeping how long at night? I know what was very effective for me during the first couple of months was to have DS nurse on one side and then I'd pump the other, and get a full feeding from that. I know you're worried about being engorged, but i found pumping after he ate didn't make it so much worse and was a relief to get the pressure out of there, around 2am. He probably did (and does) eat a little more frequently than your DD so I'm not sure if it would provide the same relief or not? when I'm feeling engorged and don't NEED more milk for the next day, I just pump for the initial let down and i don't fill up quite as fast.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

I would also suggest nursing on one side while you pump on the other at whatever point during the day that you tend to be most engorged. For me, it is always first thing in the morning, and from one breast I pump nearly enough for a full bottle feeding. I figure she's getting the same, or more, from the side she's nursing on, so she's still getting an adequate feed from one side.

i pump in the middle of the night while she is sleeping, sometime 1-3 times.