Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I hate pumping! Help!

Default I hate pumping! Help!

So I'm going back to work in Nov . I'm trying to get my freezer stash going, but pumping is so difficult for me. I feel like I never have time because DD eats every 2 hours. I have a double pump but can't pump both sides at the same time (I need stonger suction on one side and it hurts to bad on the other side to use that strong). So I pump about 20 mins on one side then about 20 on the other (and still barely get 1.5-2oz). I'm dreading pumping at work because I take so long. Any suggestions on how to help me pump more efficiently? I try to do at 3-4 sessions a day. Though the last 3 days I just really haven't wanted to. So I've only been doing it at night before bed. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: I hate pumping! Help!

What kind of pump are you using? I used a hospital grade pump and it worked really well. Do you massage while you're pumping - I was able to get a lot more when I did that.

Yes that makes it difficult for everyone

anyway your output is very normal. If you are nursing and pumping during the day as you described, it's really the best way to build your stash. We all hate pumping , relaxing and doing breast compressions as well as staying hydrated are all plusses but as I said your output is well w/in normal. KIU mama
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

You may find pumping easier and faster at work when you are doing it in place of a nursing session rather than in addition to one.

Could you get another pump and just kick them both in at once? ... may cost some coin, but sometimes it is worth the money if it gives you that little bit of extra sleep/time.

All I can offer is sympathy. I hate pumping, too, and also feel like I have more time. I never manage to pump more than once a day, so you're way ahead of me!

have you ever tried to pump one side while your baby is nursing the other? I did that when my baby was small and got a lot of milk that way. And that would help with your unequal suction problem... since you'd only be doing one side anyway.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months