Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Omg

Default Re: Omg

Oh My Goodness!!! i wold have left there only after I had given the doc a piece of my mind! What a jerk. I don't get where they think like that. I thought they were suppose to get ALL the facts first. Sorry you had this experience. If you were referred there by another doctor you should let them know how your visit went.
    I serve an awsome God!!

Bailee 9y

JW 6y

Liberty 3y
    Ethaniel

"Seriously, her stomach looks like that of the children starving in Ethiopia, it is BIG round and protruding" - Is this a symptom of Celiac? We have always joked about my son(now 2years old) having a belly like those Ethiopian kids just like you said. He has always been in the 5% or less for weight, but eats like a horse! Luckily our Dr is so laid back, he never saw this as a problem...but sometimes is a bit TOO laid back.

I would've given that Dr a piece of my mind and then some. Learned FAST with DS1 that Drs DO NOT KNOW EVERYTHING, but think they do. You'll find a good one, just keep looking

A distended belly is a symptom of celiac, as is poor weight gain, diarrhea, and enamel issues.

Dara - I am not sure what Celiac tests they did, but when they are young it may be possible to have, and be showing symptoms and the antibody numbers still come back in the normal range. If you are going to see a new GI, which I would obviously recommend once you get the results, if you do more bloodwork ask them to do the PROMETHEUS® Celiac PLUS if they did not alerady do this. This will also check if she has the genes so you can either further rule it in or out. The typical celiac test is just for the current antibody level.

Lactose intolerance is also an indicator of celiac. If you google around there are a lot of articles stating that they think a lot of lactose intolerant folks actually have celiac. Our neighbor was recently diagnosed and used to have problems with diary, and now that she has been gluten free for some time is able to have diary without an issue since her intestines have healed.

I would also send/fax them a medical release letter granting them permission to have her medical records/tests released to you. I have done this with DS docs since he was little and it is great so you get a copy of all tests, and also makes it easier if you want to switch docs

I hope you start getting some answers and find a more supportive GI.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amberlina View Post
    "He has always been in the 5% or less for weight, but eats like a horse! Luckily our Dr is so laid back, he never saw this as a problem...but sometimes is a bit TOO laid back.
    If your son's stomach is distended, he is 5% for weight and eats like a horse, that is something to be concerned about. That could be a symptom of celiac or malabsorption..or it may just be that he has a high metabolism. I would journal what he eats for a full week and then figure out approx how many calories he takes in each day. Maybe it is not as much as you think, but I think it is worth passing it by the doc. For most 2 year olds it should be somewhere around 1300 calories.

If it ends up being a dairy allergy or celiac, hop on down to the allergy subforum and we can help you get started with revamping your diets.
    Last edited by @llli*lorders; October 11th, 2010 at 07:42 PM.
    DS-11/06- known IGE allergies to dairy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, beef, lamb, duck, amaranth, mustard and more...
    Outgrew pork, oats, soy, chickpeas, peas, turkey, chicken, shellfish and wheat. He has now outgrown more than half his food allergies

What a rotten bummer!!! I am sooo sick of the arrogance of science and the medical field. It's sucks that they are who we have to turn to when we need help. I recommend using "Google scholar" to look up real research journals about your daughter's medical issues and not just get the personal opinion of an ignorant arrogant medical practitioner.

Good luck and best wishes!
    Son #1 Born Winter 2004 (BF/FF out of ignornance, nursed for 3 years)
    Son #2 Born Fall 2009 (EBF thanks to LLL!!!)

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

Best book ever: Gabrielle Palmer's "The Politics of Breastfeeding, when breasts are bad for business"

[QUOTE=@llli*lorders;1020394]A distended belly is a symptom of celiac, as is poor weight gain, diarrhea, and enamel issues.

Dara - I am not sure what Celiac tests they did, but when they are young it may be possible to have, and be showing symptoms and the antibody numbers still come back in the normal range. If you are going to see a new GI, which I would obviously recommend once you get the results, if you do more bloodwork ask them to do the PROMETHEUS® Celiac PLUS if they did not alerady do this. This will also check if she has the genes so you can either further rule it in or out. The typical celiac test is just for the current antibody level.

Lactose intolerance is also an indicator of celiac. If you google around there are a lot of articles stating that they think a lot of lactose intolerant folks actually have celiac. Our neighbor was recently diagnosed and used to have problems with diary, and now that she has been gluten free for some time is able to have diary without an issue since her intestines have healed.

QUOTE]

Yes, her stomach is quite distended, and when she is nude it is almost scarey to see this little thing with such a round protruding belly. I also thought she was lactose intolerant and even brought it up to our pedi, but they told me to keep offering it that she might just need to adjust to dairy. But I can tell you that when she has dairy she will certainly have diarreah.

I am not sure which celiac test was preformed. he wrote a 2 page list of testing and it just said celiac as one of the tests.

I hope to get the results soon! I cant take the wait! I am almost hoping to find something so I know there is a reason behund all of her symptoms.
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Lack of nutrients, due to poor absorption, or otherwise, can cause protein deficiency which leads to edema - like the protruding belly.

you could always take DD and yourself gluten free if you are unable to get answers on celiac.

I just wanted to add my outrage that you would be treated like that at the doctors when you are clearly a great mom trying to HELP your kid, both by breastfeeding with a high fat diet and by trying to get to the bottom of the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*fame.flower View Post
    I am sooo sick of the arrogance of science and the medical field.
    Not to be too picky, but I hate to see statements like this. "Science" is not itself arrogant, and cannot be arrogant, although some individual doctors certainly are. It is my opinion that when a doctor acts like this he is being neither a good medical provider NOR a good objective scientist - he is totally limited by his clearly subjective and scientifically unsubstantiated views on BF. He did not even try to consider all of the data available to him! There is a huge difference between useful fields, though, and crappy practitioners within those fields. After all, it is science and medical research that has shown the real benefits of BF/extended BF.
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

Wow, I can't believe how backwards some doctors still are despite all of the evidence.

Although it should not be your job to educate doctors I want to encourage you to write a letter to your (hopefully former) doctor.

I had a similar experience with a clinic doctor and my 'underweight' baby. I wrote a polite letter reminding him that the American Pediatric Association, the Canadian Pediatric Association, the United Nations, the World Health Organization and our local public health department all support exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months and continued breastfeeding beyond two years. I also sent copies of my letter to his department supervisior and each of the organizations mentioned.

I never saw him again and don't know what sort of advice he doles out now but he needed to be reminded that his advice was not just faulty in my eyes but in the experts within his field as well. It should be enough that mamas for thousands of years and across the species breastfeed their babies until they wean naturally, but many doctors the need to be told by 'the experts.'
    Mama to Bianca, born July 3rd 2006
    and Oakly, born April 17th 2009

Dara - dd you get back any of the results yet?
    DS-11/06- known IGE allergies to dairy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, beef, lamb, duck, amaranth, mustard and more...
    Outgrew pork, oats, soy, chickpeas, peas, turkey, chicken, shellfish and wheat. He has now outgrown more than half his food allergies

I will say that it is hard to find a good pediatric gasto that you like. Has DD seen an allergist yet?

I would ask around and find a better one. It really baffles me that he told you these things.

Why would he be testing for allergies and then telling you to give milk and instant breakfast? Hmmm. That just is really wild.

We found it best to tag team between our allerist and the pediatric GI. We also had to ask around about the GI. We didn't like the first one and ended up with another doc but in the same practice.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09