Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Omg

Default Omg

not even sure where to post this. DD had appt with a gastro today due to her low weight and constant diarreah/runny poop.the first thing the Dr asked me what she drinks during the day. I said water and breastmilk. He flew off on a tangent about how breastmilk isnt going to make her gain weight, she needs dairy, no wonder she is small, she needs more then breastmilk...on and on.

WHAT?? we didnt get to the part about the food she eats all day, we only got to fluid intake. He was making it seem that I ONLY breastfeed my tiny child, no wonder she isnt gaining weight!!! And what about the diarreah??? I was in shock. He then told me that in order for her to gain weight she needs to eat more calories then she is burning, and that I have to increase her fat and calories. This is all based on NO INFO. he had NO IDEA that for the past 6 months she has been on a high fat, high calorie diet. He didint even ASK about her diet. he just took the breastfeeding and ran with it. He asked me what she had the first year of life and I said she was nursed, and he again was repulsed, "Thats alll????" I said, well for the first 6 months yes, then she was introduced to solids.

he told me to give her milk, pedia sure and carnation instant breakfast. THis was all after I told him how after dairy she has watery diarreah.

I need to find another doc for sure...but I am just in shock about the direction of this visit.

I went in becasue my DD is tiny, has constant diarreah, and my pedi suggested a gastro. I got there a lecture about how my DD needs cows milk, and I need to feed her more. Based on NO info about her current diet.

UGH!!!!

He gave us a list of things to check in her blood, so they drew about 6 vials and I hope to get some answers so maybe this visit wasnt a total waste.

I cannot stand how they immediately point the finger at the mom. I do 100% for my kids, and for a Dr to make me feel like I am not feeding my child enough to the point that she isnt gaining weight or growing normally is a HORRIBLE thing. It really is. It would be one thing if he even asked what she eats in a day, but he didnt even get to that. Was just stuck on how breastmilk inst going to make my child grow.

So frustrated...
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Default Re: Omg

But don't you get it- it's so much EASIER to blame mom than to look for a real problem.

I'm sorry you had such a rotten visit. Send a letter, maybe?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I feel for you momma!
    I had the same issue with DS,I was looking for an answer for the enamel problem of DS's teeth and every doctor I went to was just pointing at the fact that he's still breastfed!
    It's so frustrating.
    If you see again this doctor you can tell him that last month your friend's DS who is 16 mos ate just BM and gained a lot of weight anyway.
    but I hope you find a better gastro anyway!
    I'm Lisa,SAHM to M. 5/14/09 my velcro boy!

we made it to 19 mos!!! no end in sight
    always and (I'd like to have a just LO and mom cosleeping smilie...)
    food sensitivity to dairy,apple and orange
    we just started to put cloth on
    if I'm here I'm
    love this forum!!!

That's so ridiculous!

Do you know if one of the tests was for Celiac? It can cause poor weight gain, diarrhea and lactose intolerance, so it might fit her symptoms.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

yes one of the tests was for celiac. They are testing for allergies to all kinds of proteins as well. He did note that her stomach was destended, and that was with the cloth diaper on. he should have seen her nude. Seriously, her stomach looks like that of the children starving in Ethiopia, it is BIG round and protruding.

I am still reeling from the conversation....
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*dara View Post
    yes one of the tests was for celiac. They are testing for allergies to all kinds of proteins as well. He did note that her stomach was destended, and that was with the cloth diaper on. he should have seen her nude. Seriously, her stomach looks like that of the children starving in Ethiopia, it is BIG round and protruding.

I am still reeling from the conversation....
    I hope you get answers and a better doctor soon.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I have had those kinds of experiences with physicians, and it always leaves me just reeling. I once had a pediatrician, after I reported finding my son not breathing while asleep, turn the conversation to the hazards of co-sleeping -- oblivious to the fact that, had I not been co-sleeping, I would not have known that he wasn't breathing and wouldn't have been there to stimulate him and get him breathing again.

I hope you get some answers soon -- I know you've been worried about her for awhile now...
    Mama to Lorenzo, born 4/25/2007. NICU graduate, Gastro-Esohapgeal Reflux, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Sensory Processing Disorder...alive and thriving thanks to breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
    Chinese Proverb

Sounds like the same doctor I saw when sarah had low iron.

As we were walking out hubby said

"SO, did you even hear anything after your milk is no good after 6 months"

And I said no...She'slucky I didn't sock her.

good luck with the testing maybe you can get the results and take them to another doctor?

and for sucky doctors!!!
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Oh My Goodness!!! i wold have left there only after I had given the doc a piece of my mind! What a jerk. I don't get where they think like that. I thought they were suppose to get ALL the facts first. Sorry you had this experience. If you were referred there by another doctor you should let them know how your visit went.
    I serve an awsome God!!

Bailee 9y

JW 6y

Liberty 3y
    Ethaniel