Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Newborn biting/clamping down just on one side

Default Newborn biting/clamping down just on one side

My one week old daughter has decided in the last few days that she needs to bite/clampdown when initially latched - but just on one side. Things are going great on the left side, but whenever I latch her onto the right she just clamps down (just with the first few sucks). I've tried several different positions, relatching, and trying to hold her chin down but nothing has seemed to help. Luckily, she doesn't do it for the whole feeding, but what she is doing is making me really sore on that side. She doesn't have a tight frenulum, and I'm out of ideas. Anyone have any suggestions?

Default Re: Newborn biting/clamping down just on one side

Ouch! Sometimes babies clamp down to control a too-rapid flow of milk. When she clamps and you take her off, is milk spraying out? Does she ever come off that breast choking or coughing from too much milk too fast?

--Rebecca

How is your letdown? If you take her off, is your milk spraying? If so, she might be trying to control your flow. You can then let me milk spray into a diaper and relatch her after it stops spraying.
    Last edited by I-Man's Momma; October 14th, 2006 at 11:15 AM. Reason: oops, guess we were posting at the same time!

I'm not spraying everywhere, but she does come off acting a little gaggy. I might try pumping a little on that side before I latch her on to see if that makes any difference.

Sometimes a baby might clamp if s/he feels unsupported. Perhaps try holding her more tightly (I can get a little lazy and let the Boppy do most of the work and then...yikes!).