Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I lost a little weight (finally) but my supply dropped! Help!

Default I lost a little weight (finally) but my supply dropped! Help!

Hi ladies,
    I have an almost 9 month old and joined Weight Watchers 2 weeks ago. I can't believe I did, I have never been a dieter (or needed to do so) but I am frustrated with these 20 lbs just lingering, and heard that it works well for nursing moms because it adds calories to help you maintain supply.
    I might have lost a pound or two (don't have a scale!) but my supply has plummeted. I work part time and used to pump 10-14 ounces during my 9 hours away from her and now I pump 5-8 ounces. My breasts are never "full" anymore, even before her middle of the night feed. I know it could be due to teething, solids, hormonal stuff (my AF came back at 6 weeks PP so that's not new!) but I am worried that this calorie restrictive diet has impacted my supply. I had to supplement all week, a sad first for us.
    If this is the case, can I get my supply back up by adding calories? I obviously can wait to shed these pounds and regret trying if this is what happens!
    Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions.

Default Re: I lost a little weight (finally) but my supply dropped! Help!

Hi mama! Here's a lot of good info:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/index.html

How do you know your supply has reduced? Nappy output? As KellyMom says, it's a normal and good thing for your breasts to feel less full as your supply regulates.

The good news is milk is a supply and demand relationship. You can increase supply by latching LO on all weekend, and by Monday your supply will be bolstered.

I've never been in the exact same situation of a sudden dramatic reduction in milk; but I have lost 13kg since DD was born. It's come off slowly and steadily, how about for you?

My supply reduced somewhat at 8 months due to user error: I went back to work and wasn't dilligent about pumping. I knew it had reduced because nappy output was lower and as one might imagine I couldn't express much milk. However, in a week the situation turned around by scheduling in pumping and having a regular pumping time (around 18:00, in my case) to train my body to make a lot of milk at that time. I followed KellyMom's advice and kept my (handsfree) double pump running 5 minutes after the last letdown. Now my milk has returned and there is no 5 minutes when no milk flows.

Are you getting enough rest? Fluids? Is your pump new and in good working order? Have you thought about safe co-sleeping to increase supply?
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Thanks, bxl!
    My pump is not new, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't changed or slowed down in any way. I may not be pumping enough when I'm away from her (3 days a week) but my job makes it very hard to pump more than twice. My weight loss is not sudden, so it shouldn't have such impact on supply, but I can pump about 8 ounces in a day compared to 14 two weeks ago. And my evening pump, which I've been doing for months, just went from 4 or 5 ounces to 2 or 3. I take Calcium/magnesium, Fenugreek, oatmeal and almonds pretty regularly. I'll try to bf like crazy this weekend to see if I can up the supply. Is there a point of no return in terms of lost supply? As in: once supply goes down to a few ounces per day is it still possible to get back to 25 ounces per day again?
    Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juniesmom View Post
    Thanks, bxl!
    My pump is not new, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't changed or slowed down in any way. I may not be pumping enough when I'm away from her (3 days a week) but my job makes it very hard to pump more than twice. My weight loss is not sudden, so it shouldn't have such impact on supply, but I can pump about 8 ounces in a day compared to 14 two weeks ago. And my evening pump, which I've been doing for months, just went from 4 or 5 ounces to 2 or 3. I take Calcium/magnesium, Fenugreek, oatmeal and almonds pretty regularly. I'll try to bf like crazy this weekend to see if I can up the supply. Is there a point of no return in terms of lost supply? As in: once supply goes down to a few ounces per day is it still possible to get back to 25 ounces per day again?
    Thanks again!
    How long are you away from you LO during those three days? 25 ounces is a lot of milk, and you may not be producing that much because your LO doesn't need that much. My LO is 9 mo and i'm gone for 9ish hours a day, five days a week. He only takes 10-12 ounces when I'm gone and that's been the same since he was about 2 mo when I went back to work. I believe most people recommend that babies need between 1 and 1.5 oz of expressed milk per hour mom is away.

It is not impossible to get your supply back up. When my supply goes down it's because I'll leave out a pumping session or LO will sleep long stretches for a few nights in a row. I've taken fenugreek and just been diligent about not going longer than three hours without pumping/nursing.

good luck.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

How many of the nursing points are you eating? If you are only taking the extra 5, why don't you increase it to the full 10? Are you eating all 35 of your Flex Points? If not, maybe you should in healthy, Filling foods (not junk food).

I think the lack of pumping may be the real impact here not the slight loss.

Are you eating all 3 healthy oils, 3 dairy serving, drinking ALL of your water (in pure water), all F/V servings?

Really, the WW plan for nursing moms isn't that restrictive on calories. It's normal to lose a little more the first few weeks but after that it's designed to only allow you to really lose 1/2 a week or so. If you are very concerned, you should talk with your WW leader.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

My extra 15 lbs is still on... :P

But I've had problems with working and pumping output as well. My pumping output started to dwindle when I started losing pumping sessions at work. I did do a bf/pump weekend several weeks ago which did wonders... but within a couple of days back at work with the hectic pace keeping me from pumping, my output went back down again.

Good luck!

Could you be getting your period? My supply drops a lot the week before that.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

@yoginimama, I upped it to 10 extra points a week and things are better. I think I was a little too gung-ho! I wasn't getting much fat in those two weeks because I was trying to use as few points as possible, obviously NOT the way to go with WW! (I am an online member, no meetings.) But I changed my info to EBF and am much happier. The poundage will stick around but I'm ok with that.
    I realize that I regularly pump about an ounce per hour per day (8 or 9 ounces from 2 sessions at work) and she takes about 1.5 to 2 per hour these days. Extra nighttime pumps get me close to her needs but not quite there. I've made peace with this, finally.

Oh, and forgot to say- many thanks for the advice, ladies!