Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 10 month old away from breast for a week

Default 10 month old away from breast for a week

Dear all - I am not sure this is the best forum to ask this question at, but...
    I have a 6 month old, who nurses on demand.
    He is never away from me for longer then a day; however, in about 4 months, I will have to be away from him for about a week. My mother will take care of him while I am away, and I am planning on pumping for as many sessions a day as he will be nursing at that time.
    Do you think there is a chance that he will not get back to the breast once I come back? Is there a way to reduce this chance?
    I don't want to wean him that early, of course, but I am not able to take him with me....
    First time mommy to a wonderful baby boy, Kai, 3/26/2010
    Birth Weight: 7lb 8oz
    1 month: 9lb 6oz
    3 months: 13lb 10oz
    6 months: 17lb 1oz
    9 months: 19lb 13oz
    12 months: 21lb

We are , love to , cloth diapering that and taking him with us everywhere.

Default Re: 10 month old away from breast for a week

It's hard to predict how he'll react, but I would think it's likely he'll just fall back into his usual routine when he sees you again.

I'm bumping this in case there are any other moms here who have had this experience...
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Your heart must be heavy with anticipation. from your signature line I see you are devoted to taking your LO with you everywhere but alas a situation has arisen where you are not able to take your LO with you. Are you sure you can't take your LO along?
    If you pump when you are away from your LO and upon your return devote a few days to rooming in your LO may respond by gladly taking full advantage of your closeness and pick up breastfeeding with gusto.

Since your mom is already planning on taking care of him, is there any way that she and baby could come with you on your trip? That would allow you to squeeze in a couple of nursing sessions per day.

If that isn't an option, it sounds like you are doing the best you can by pumping ahead of time. Each baby will react differently, so one might go back to nursing as if nothing ever happened while another may reject the breast completely. Hopefully your baby will continue nursing without missing a beat.
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

No, unfortunatelly there is no way to take the little one with us. My mother still works; so we will have our usual nanny during the day with him and my mother during the night.
    Sigh. Well, we will see...
    First time mommy to a wonderful baby boy, Kai, 3/26/2010
    Birth Weight: 7lb 8oz
    1 month: 9lb 6oz
    3 months: 13lb 10oz
    6 months: 17lb 1oz
    9 months: 19lb 13oz
    12 months: 21lb

We are , love to , cloth diapering that and taking him with us everywhere.