Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cutting nursings

Default Cutting nursings

So, I've written a post or two before regarding the frequency of Brody's nursing. He's 20 months old today, and doesn't seem to be slowing down in the least. I do not want to wean him completely, just maybe down to about half of what we're doing right now. It's not uncommon for him to nurse 12-14 times a day still, and often times, he just wants to stay attached to my boob even if he isn't actively nursing. I really enjoy the closeness with him and I'd be happy to sit around all day topless so he can nurse whenever he wants, but it just isn't that way. Obviously he does it for attention a lot of the time. If I'm making dinner or otherwise not paying any attention to him, he BEGS to nurse. Whines, cries, tries to climb up my legs, pushes me, yanks on my shirt, and just throws a general fit. And although he doesn't eat a ton of solids (I wonder why ), he doesn't NEED to nurse that much, so I'd prefer he doesn't. He also likes to do it when we're out often, which I'm starting to get uncomfortable with. Not with people staring necessarily, but more with actual physical comfort. He's getting so big, and it's tough to be discreet with such a big "baby".
    So any gentle weaning tips? I suspect this is not going to go well. Right now we're still basically nursing on demand, and if I tell him "in a bit" or "soon", we have what I've described above. Major meltdowns.
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'

Default Re: Cutting nursings

I think with a kid that age it's more of a discipline issue than anything else, albeit a more sensitive one to deal with since it's so closely tied to those feelings of comfort, nurturing, safety, etc.

It's perfectly fine for you to put limits on his nursing at this point. He does need to start to understand that nursing is a 2 way street. I would handle the tantrums similarly to the way you would handle a tantrum he threw because you refuse to give him a cookie. What I would do is get down on his level and tell him that you are not going to nurse right now, but when you are done making dinner/when we get home/after bath (whatever applies but try to come up with something specific rather than just "later", you could even use a set time like 5 minutes or whatever). And then offer a drink of water or a snack in case he is really thirsty or hungry. And also follow through and nurse him when you say you will or he'll pick up on it pretty quick.

Have you read Mothering the Nursing Toddler? I have not read it, but seen it recommended by several mamas here. it might be worth a look to get more ideas.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

yup we started with outside the house 1st
    unless your hurt and bleeding you have to wait untill we get home.

Then once we weren't nursing outside the house then I cut back nursings at home.
    LAst to go were nap and bed time.

I found too that weaning a few feeds made me feal beter about the few that were left.
    And if they are nursing well 3-4 times in 24 hours they don't need milk subs.

And the cool thing flu season is comming.. that kept me going when she was 2 and 3 years old turnnig 4.

oh and don't sit down.... unless your offerning to nurse.
    Sometimes switching up your routine helps.

Thank you ladies. I'm going to try to start cutting down tomorrow. Or do my best, anyway.
    I haven't read that book Paige, but thank you for reminding me of it. I've heard it's decent. I put it on hold at the library, but there's only 1 copy and I'm 5th in line. I'll see if I can order it.
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'