Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sleeping through night - but will it stay this way?

Default sleeping through night - but will it stay this way?

Don't hate me for this -- I'm a very, very lucky mama who's baby has been sleeping through the night since she was a couple of weeks old. We aren't talking 7 to 7 or anything, I feed her around 10 or 11 before I go to bed, and she sleeps through till we have to get up for work around 6. Sometimes later, and sometimes we actually have to wake her. She'll wake occasionally a little earlier and I give her the pacifier and she waits for us to get up.

The other night I went to bed early and she didn't get her late feeding, and just that one night she did wake me around 1 so she could eat. But that's it!

She is now three months old. Are we out of the woods? If she's sleeping like this now do we need to worry that when she starts teething and stuff we will be up all night or something? Or is this a blessing that will last?

Default Re: sleeping through night - but will it stay this way?

Nope. Not even close. Don't get used to anything the 1st year or you will find your self on the sleep board every day. Relish it,take andvantage of it, but don't count on it or get used to it. THere will definitely be sleep issues that accompany all magor milestones like sitting up, crawling,pulling up,standing, and walking . Teething will cause night wakefulnwess as well. My son was sleeping thru @5weeks. It lasted until almost 6months. We've been on the midnight train ever since. sometimes 8-12x anight due to teething pain. He's 9and1/2 months. Just gotta roll w/ things this 1st year while they get things figured out. Relish that sleep while you can.

I was thinking just the same thing......enjoy it while you can My kids didn't consistently sleep through the night until well past toddlerhood. However, my DS 6 months has NEVER slept through the night. I've never had more than four hours and that was a couple of times a couple of months ago!! Did you do anything to help that along? Just curious because I would love to get a little more sleep

Wink Re: sleeping through night - but will it stay this way?

DD was sleeping through the night from about five weeks until about five months... Not anymore! It's hard now to even remember that we got some decent sleep for awhile!

Proud Mother of ThreePrecious Children

Calder Anwyn
    February 21, 2006
    Nursed Until 18 Months
    Ewan Walker
    May 31, 2008
    Nursed Until 15 Months
    Reed Bennett
    February 26, 2011
    Off to a beautiful start...!

Consider yourself so..............LUCKY!!! I thought my first slept awful. He was a blessing compared to this lo. She wakes almost every hour or two. Count your blessings now and pray it lasts. Just don't be upset when it doesn't. And when your lo starts waking more frequently remember there are Moms who haven't slept in months right there with you.

I agree with the pp my lo was sleeping through the night since 2 months the past couple of weeks i swear it has been every 2 hours she is wanting to eat i am just hoping that it is a growth spurt and that she will go back to slepp pretty soon. This mommy needs her sleep to keep up with the big brother the next day.

I too have to agree with everyone. My lo was sleeping through the night (about 6 hours, a feed and then 4 more) at 6 weeks. Then at about 3 months, she started getting up every hour. Now, we have her sleeping about 9 hours (she is 4 months) but I know that won't last. We were so happy when she was sleeping so much at 6 weeks, it was a real shock when it changed! Enjoy while u can!!!!!!

No one hates you- we just envy you! My daughter also started sleeping through the night at around 4 to 4.5 months. I thought the rest of my life would be a cakewalk! Instead, my daughter worked her way back to shorter sleep cycles until she was once again back to waking up every 1-2 hours all night long. Ugh. I wish I had tried to reinforce good sleeping habits when she was 4 months old instead of teaching them to her now, when she is much more determined about what she wants. If there's one thing I would change, I would have made sure that she knew how to fall asleep by herself, instead of ALWAYS drifting off with my breast in her mouth. By 6 months old, my daughter thought that going to sleep = big old mouthful of breast.

Good luck, and enjoy your sleep!

Pazygozo is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Yep, mine slept from 10-6 with an occasional feeding around 3 am from age 2 months to 3 1/2 months. What BLISS! But that pattern has changed several times in the last 3 months. His newest trick is thinking that 4:30 am = a new day! *sigh* Too bad we couldn't put all that "extra" sleep from back then in jars to use now! Good luck and enjoy! I s'pose there's always the chance that she'll sleep on this way forever - don't give up hope, but as others have said, don't be too shocked if it doesn't last.

My one piece of advice has to do with the 10:00 bed time. Since we were so used to our little one's schedule, when he started to get tired much earlier, say around 7, first of all, we didn't recognise his tired signs for about a week, we just thought he was suddenly fussy, since sleep-time typically wasn't for several more hours. Then, in our inexperience, we started trying to keep him up so that his 8 hour stretch wouldn't start at 7:00 and he'd be up for the day at 3:00. BAD IDEA!!!! We had One Cranky Child. Poor thing was sooo overtired! So, while the 10:00 bedtime was great while it lasted, I would definately have to say that if your DD starts acting tired way before her typical bedtime, go ahead and put her down!!! Then enjoy some time without her for awhile before you go to bed. We had a few really rough weeks before we figured this out. All the sleep books we've read since then say that sleep begets more sleep, and I am now a firm believer! I simply didn't know that early bedtimes were the norm, since he never fell asleep before 10:00ish before that. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Pazygozo View Post

My one piece of advice has to do with the 10:00 bed time. Since we were so used to our little one's schedule, when he started to get tired much earlier, say around 7, first of all, we didn't recognise his tired signs for about a week, we just thought he was suddenly fussy, since sleep-time typically wasn't for several more hours. Then, in our inexperience, we started trying to keep him up so that his 8 hour stretch wouldn't start at 7:00 and he'd be up for the day at 3:00. BAD IDEA!!!! We had One Cranky Child. Poor thing was sooo overtired! So, while the 10:00 bedtime was great while it lasted, I would definately have to say that if your DD starts acting tired way before her typical bedtime, go ahead and put her down!!! Then enjoy some time without her for awhile before you go to bed. We had a few really rough weeks before we figured this out. All the sleep books we've read since then say that sleep begets more sleep, and I am now a firm believer! I simply didn't know that early bedtimes were the norm, since he never fell asleep before 10:00ish before that. Just my two cents.
    I second the bedtime thing - our son has slept 7 or 8 hours at a stretch since week 5 (he's 3.5 months now) and we implemented a 7:30 bedtime a couple of weeks ago to try and regulate his daytime napping. he had been going to bed with us at 10 but he has taken to the early bedtime (it helps that the sun goes down at 6 pm) and now sleeps 7:30 - 3, then eats, then sleeps till 7. But last week he started teething and it all went to hell for a few days. Now (and for the next few months? years? ) I pledge to be grateful for every morning I wake up and it's later than 3 am! I hate seeing that 12:00 on the clock radio...