Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Want to wean a 13 month old.

Default Want to wean a 13 month old.

So I'm a stay at home mom and would like to wean my 13 month old daughter. We are at 3 feedings right now: early morning, nap and bed time. Last week I managed to eliminate the afternoon feeding. I wanted my DD to drink milk from a bottle or sippy cup, but no such luck. She drinks water only from a sippy cup and refuses to drink anything else from it. I pumped and gave her BM from the sippy cup, but she would not take it neither from me nor my husband.
    I prepare her oatmeal with cow's milk and spoon feed her, which she likes but would not drink just milk from the cup.
    She was bottle fed when I was at work, but when I quit I started to BF only which was much easier and lot's nicer for both of us. I wish I kept 1 bottle feeding session per day and would not have such issues now.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks!
    Vesper's mom

Default Re: Want to wean a 13 month old.

Hi mama! Congrats on making it over a year breastfeeding! That really is a great accomplishment. Do you mind if I ask you why you feel the need to wean your LO? From what you describe, it sounds like she is still very attached to the 3 nursing sessions you have left. And since she won't drink cow's milk, do you have a plan for how to replace your milk with something equally nutritious? At your child's age, if they are eating solids well, nursing 3-4 times per day is fine, and they generally don't even need to drink cow's milk if they are still nursing several times a day. Especially with flu season coming up, I would encourage you to keep the 3 sessions you have left... babies who get the flu often can't keep anything but breastmilk down, and it is a nice tool to have in your parenting tool belt if your LO gets sick.

In general, though, if you would still like to wean, I would recommend trying some distraction techniques for your LO, and dropping the remaining sessions slowly. Try to drop the one she seems the least attached to first. When she wants to nurse, you could try offering her a snack or a sippy cup instead. You could also try avoiding the places where you usually sit and nurse... for example, if you have a special chair where you usually nurse, try to avoid sitting in that chair so your LO isn't reminded of nursing.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Would like to get pregnant again soon. Getting pregnant the 1st time, after 4 years of trying ended up with, thankfully, a successful in-vitro. Otherwise I'd keep on going.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*polska-mama View Post
    Would like to get pregnant again soon. Getting pregnant the 1st time, after 4 years of trying ended up with, thankfully, a successful in-vitro. Otherwise I'd keep on going.
    Ah, thanks, now I understand... most fertility docs will want you to wean so the hormones of breastfeeding don't interfere with the in vitro, correct? I think in your situation, I would probably keep trying her on cow's milk, and work on the distraction techniques... perhaps over time she will get accustomed to the taste of cow's milk and learn to accept it? You might also try something like a yogurt smoothie, maybe with fruit in it... something that has a little more flavor to it, but still has the nutritional value of dairy. I know there was a mama on here who had a friend that weaned her daughter by offering a smoothie at the times when they would usually nurse. Good luck on your quest for a subsequent pregnancy!
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

I started weaning DS at 12 mos, and he was fully weaned by 17 months. Have you tried different types of sippy cups. Initially DS refused milk from everything but a straw cup. You may also try different milks such as soy milk, almond milk, etc... The smoothie suggestion is also a good one. DS finally accepted cow's milk when I blended in a little banana and vanilla yogurt. Eventually you can cut out the additions. Also, milk is not necessary if you can get her to eat enough solid foods that are high in fat and calcium.