Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastflow Bottles ?

Default Breastflow Bottles ?

Has anyone try the Breastflow bottles by "The First Years" I am having trouble getting my 8week old to take a bottle and I was reading some older posting and one talk about this bottle so I went to Babies r us website and base on the parent review it got 5 stars. But I would like to hear from someone who has used it.

Default Re: Breastflow Bottles ?

I have not tried those nipples. But if you are looking for something that mimics your breast, I reccomend 2nd Nature. They are "all stage nipples" That are designed w/a bunch of tiny holes just like your nipple. So the harder they suck, the more they get. They are also available on line at Babies R US.

I have used those for occasional bottle feedings and I really recommend them. They have produced no nipple confusion, even when dd was about 3 or 4 weeks old and I needed a break to get some sleep. They require suction and compression and have a large surface area that helps them open wide, plus the outer nipple is soft and conforms to their mouth the way you do. (I think the 2nd nature one does that, too) Because of the letdown feature, there isn't a steady stream of milk like with some other nipples. When there's a steady stream of milk, the baby will be forced to keep swallowing because their mouth keeps filling up. This may cause overeating and GI upset since the baby can't stop the flow. Maybe. Here are some great links about the subject, though none mention the Breastflow (it is a relatively new addition to the nipple world and I don't think it's on everyone's radar):

How to bottle feed the breastfed baby

Bottle Nipples that Minimize Nipple Confusion or Flow Preference

PS - I do not, however, recommend the pumps from The First Years. They are WORTHLESS.

We had to use them when I went back to work. My daughter would fight and scream the whole time we tried to get her to take a bottle. So, I went to BRU and got breastflow, 2nd Nature, dr browns, and playtex nurser. We tried them all. The 2nd nature she didn't like b/c of the shape of the nipple, it has a ridge and she couldn't figure out how that worked! The next night we tried the breastflow and she fussed a little less. The next time we tried she squirmed for maybe a minute then took it.

I highly recommend it! Luckily, now she will take anything. I work at night 3 nights a week so she dosen't get bottled often.

P.S.- She was 8 weeks old when we had to start giving bottles. She is now 7 1/2 months and switches back and forth with no problem!