Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sleeping habit

Default sleeping habit

Hi,

I`m wondering if somebody could give some good advice about my son`s sleeping habit. He is five weeks old and is only willing to sleep in my lap. He falls asleep after feeding and no matter how long I wait, he wakes up right away when I put him down. He also cries every time he is awake unless he is at my breast feeding and me holding him. (he does like to sleep w/ and be held by his father also)

He is a beautiful healthy baby and I wonder if he will grow out of this habit, or if this is something I have to break somehow. Could it be that he is a "high need" baby just needing constant attention? Oh, and by the way, the "let him cry it out" method just does not work with him, b/c he just cries until he gets picked up no matter how long it takes.

I appreciate your advice
    Last edited by Naomi1979; October 7th, 2006 at 04:56 AM. Reason: spelling error

Default Re: sleeping habit

My daughter decided that we were doing attachment parenting whether we liked it or not!!! She wanted to be in contact with me almost constantly-I co-slept with her, and still do most night(she's 7 months) Really, if I wanted to get any rest, it's what I did-she just was very attached to me from day one. I say try co-sleeping, and see if you both get more sleep that way!!!

I am in the same boat! my LO will only sleep in my lap and she is almost 8 wks. I can't even get her to co-sleep in my bed. I'd love some advice.
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

This is exactly how my daughter was from her very first day home from the Hospital. Sometimes I could trick her into being placed in her bassinett once she had fallen asleep, but once she started to stir and realized she wasn't with me, she was wide awake and quite upset about it.
    I decided to try co-sleeping. It's worked out beautifully! She sleeps in bed with my husband and I, and she does MUCH better. At night when she is hungry, she never even cries. She kindof wriggles close to me and nuzzles my chest. I just pull my shirt up, she latches on and I go right back to sleep!
    And during the day, I will rock her to sleep, then lay down WITH her in the bed for a few minutes. She falls asleep there with me beside her, then I can get up and go do chores or whatever else until she wakes up.
    She is really an attention loving child. She is definately not the type who likes to sleep alone. Once I gave up trying to make her an independent sleeper, things improved a great deal. Babies know what they like, and sometimes that means having to find a happy medium.

MY advice would be get a wrap or sling. Babies who want to be close to their mothers love this sort of contact. It mimic the womb, they can hear your heartbeat and it will lull them to sleep while leaving you hands free to actually move around and get stuff done.. I know where you are. Trapped on the couch. Because you'd rather be trapped on the couch w/ a sleeping baby Than trying to calm a crying one. We've all been there. The sling/wrap will change your life. A couple of neat benifits; you can nurse in most, But you can also slide out of one after a baby has gone to sleep and "trick " them into sleeping somewhere else by leaving them in it so it still smells like you. Also if you wear a baby around until they fall asleep at bedtime you can usually then take that baby to bed w/ you and unwrap and transistion smoothly into a co-sleeping situation. Good luck ladies!!! Slings and wraps change everything!!

thank you so much for all of your advice. I do co-sleep with my baby and this way he sleeps well at night. He is not willing to fall asleep laying down during the day though. (even if I am right ext to him) I do think the baby sling is a good idea, but he does not like it either. He stiffens himself every time I try. Any tricks on getting him to like the sling? He is otherwise a wonderful little boy, I just need to figure out a way of staying close to him and getting dinner done at the same time

Personally we prefer a wrap. and they all fight getting into them in the beginning. GET MOVING! That's how you get them to calm down. THat's why a wrap worked best for us. Because in the hug hold, the MOby wrap almost mimics his favorite position. Which is to be up over my shoulder. He's not up over my shoulder but he's right against me and he can still look around. I think wraps work better for cooking anyway because once they fall asleep they can be completely coverd. My husband has cooked dinner sevral times wearing DS by doing something until he fell asleep and then covering him up completely to protect him while he cooks! Good luck!

If you are having trouble wearing your baby, perhaps there is a local NINO (nine in nine out) group you can attend to get some advice and pointers. YOu can find their page here http://www.nineinnineout.org/ and check out your local group. They are sometimes described as the La Leche League of babywearing.

As far as the sleep issue, I would also reccomend the Dr. Sears book, "Night TIme Parenting." He discusses how a baby's sleep patterns are different than an adults and how we can best help our babies, toddlers, and children to develop healthy sleep habits.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Wow, thank you all so much for your advice. Last evening after much struggle we finally got the sling figured out. My son feels great in it, but it will still take some getting used to. I was putting the thing on backwards!! (don`t laugh please -- the joys of being a first-time parent)
    I am so thankful for this forum and for all of you out there willing to give advice next to your busy schedule

hi. I was having the same problem & my husband & I didn't want him to co-sleep with us. Here's how I got through it. This was a 3 day process: I would let him get sleepy (yawn) & then put him into his crib awake. Then I would put one hand on his cheek & hold in a pacifier with that hand. I would lay the other hand on his arm or belly. I did this for about 40 min. each night until he feel asleep - then I'd take out the paci. Last night (day 3) I only held it in for about 5 min, then took it out & he was asleep on his own & slept about 4 hours.
    In the day I try to let him sleep in a swing, but he loves to nap on me. I am trying to break this habit so that he won't want to do it at night. (even though I do love when he sleeps on me!)