Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pain with nursing but not with pumping?

Question Pain with nursing but not with pumping?

I have been experiencing intense pain when my DD latches on to one of my breast more then the other and bursts of the same pain throughout a nursing session and I have also been keep awake by the same at night. I am growing concerned because even though I have experienced bouts of pain before it has never been this intense and I worry that my screams and yelps of pain will scare my DD. Previously I have assumed the pain was a result of my DDs increased nursing because it had conincided with her growth spurts. Now I am wondering if it could be trush or a latch that has gone bad. My DD is five months old and the poor thing has been suffering on and off for about two months with teething pain with no results so far. Tonight I pulled out the pump to make sure the breast was as drained as possible because I dont want the supply to suffer and was surprised to find I had no discomfort. Any Ideas???????????????

Default Re: Pain with nursing but not with pumping?

I experienced some intense latch pain that could not be explained away for a while. I think it went away around four months but...it felt like he was sucking pieces of steel thread out of my nipples. And after doing fine for months I had to start using the nipple cream again. I won't give it away because I'm afraind it may come up again. It went away on it's own at around 4 or 4 and 1/2 months. But I took him back to an LC after the 6week point because one of my friends saw me grimace when he latched on and aske me about it and I said "It always hurts initally." She said " it shouldn't still hurt. IT could be thrush" We went in..it wasn't thrush. She said sometimes babies who have a very good supply get lazy w/ thier latch. I needed to discipline him more. I can only pop him on and off so much KWIM?
    It got way better when we started side lye nursig for most of our sessions...I suggest you go see someone to rule out thrush.

Default Re: Pain with nursing but not with pumping?

That happened to me a couple of weeks ago and I went in to see if it was thrush...I was convinced...and then it wasn't. Actually right after I went in, the pain stopped. Weird. Anyway, my theory is that it was a growth spurt and he was sucking like a mad man and I just got sore...but it was awful for about 4 days! The steel thread description sounds about right...