Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will my 23-pound 5-month-old slim down?

Default Will my 23-pound 5-month-old slim down?

At birth, my daughter weighed 6 pounds, 6 ounces. She now weighs 23 pounds at five months (when I took my 6-year-old to the doc a few weeks ago, I stuck baby on the scale when older sis was being weighed just to check)! At four months, she was in the 97th percentile for height and off the charts for weight.

I have SO.MUCH.MILK this time (this is my third baby). I pump before I go to sleep after feeding her four hours previously, and I regularly get between 12 and 15 ounces! I have to change the bottles mid-pumping. It's CRAZY, but I love it. I haven't had any problems with mastitis or clogged ducts, and I don't even feel full with all that milk! I had low supply with my first child, and I am just loving not having to deal with that this time around.

My one worry, though, is...Will she slim down eventually? I know one negative about formula feeding is babies pork up quickly and early and then have weight problems later on.

What do you other mamas think? Will she slim down eventually? Do any of you have babies who started out huge and ended up at a healthy, more normal weight? Thanks in advance for your input...

Default Re: Will my 23-pound 5-month-old slim down?

She most likely will. DS2 was around 22lbs or so at 5 months and he might only be about 25lbs at 11 months. He is super active and has been since about 6 months. He used to be covered in rolls, and although he's still pleasantly chubby, he gets leaner and thinner all the time.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Very reassuring, Samiha! Thanks! I think you gave me a nice reply when I posted before about this, so thanks again.

Oh yeah, not to worry! Both my kids were born relatively small (DD1 was 6 lbs, 7 oz, DD2 was in the mid 7 lbs range) and rapidly climbed to the tip-top of the charts for weight. The last time I took DD2 in, the pediatrician rolled her eyes and said "I hate seeing kids waste away like this." Then she looked at DD2 and said "Mommy's feeding you the high-test stuff."

My first started to fall down the percentiles as soon as she became mobile. She's now a VERY tall and slender 4 year-old. I have no doubt that my second chunkster will follow the same pattern.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

i've got a chunker too he weighed 20 at 6 months - and he's been crawling since 7 months and is still a chunker!! But I do have 12 nieces and nephews who've all been breastfed and 10 out of 12 of them were HUGE babies. 6 of them were frighteningly so!! i mean, i thought they'd never be able to move because they were so chubby. Now they're all active adorable string beans, just like their parents. I think it's always been walking more than crawling that's really made a difference in their metabolism.

I don't worry for a second about max (he's nine months now) being a big boy. He certainly has a healthy appetite, but has never eaten anything processed or prepared. I think as long as they're eating bmilk and whole foods and feeding themselves, it's all good.

the rolls
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*chickennoodlemom View Post
    At birth, my daughter weighed 6 pounds, 6 ounces. She now weighs 23 pounds at five months (when I took my 6-year-old to the doc a few weeks ago, I stuck baby on the scale when older sis was being weighed just to check)! At four months, she was in the 97th percentile for height and off the charts for weight.

I have SO.MUCH.MILK this time (this is my third baby). I pump before I go to sleep after feeding her four hours previously, and I regularly get between 12 and 15 ounces! I have to change the bottles mid-pumping. It's CRAZY, but I love it. I haven't had any problems with mastitis or clogged ducts, and I don't even feel full with all that milk! I had low supply with my first child, and I am just loving not having to deal with that this time around.

My one worry, though, is...Will she slim down eventually? I know one negative about formula feeding is babies pork up quickly and early and then have weight problems later on.

What do you other mamas think? Will she slim down eventually? Do any of you have babies who started out huge and ended up at a healthy, more normal weight? Thanks in advance for your input...
    my babes have all been chunky monkeys, but not that heavy! my goodness the rolls she must have!! (i love love LOVE baby rolls!) anyways... since this has been an issue for me, as well, i've asked our pedi about it. she says all her bf babies (referring to her patients!) are up in the charts with weight. the benies of reduced obesity don't show until their teens. but not too be concerned unless SHE shows concern. what has your doc said about it?
    i'm Kim, married to my DH since 8-3-02.
    this is my second attempt to bf after a breast reduction.
    Andrew Gage 6-5-04 ff
    John Michael 2-8-08 ff and bf until 7 mos
    Lillian Gianna 6-25-10 ebf since 11-12-10 thanks to the support and knowledge from this forum!

Thank you for all the reassurance! I feel better knowing there are other kiddos who started out huge and slimmed down.

She is HUGE! I cannot find clothes to fit her! Right now, she's wearing some 2T pjs I got at a garage sale. I hit garage sales last weekend to buy her some clothes because I cannot afford to pay full price when she skips a size every month!

The other thing is it's hard to clean all those rolls! I have to be really careful that I get under the neck, her knee and leg rolls, and even in her back fat!

Everywhere we go people comment about her size: "Wow! She's a little butterball!" and, "Holy cow! What are you feeding her?" (To which I proudly reply, "Breastmilk!") Luckily, I'm not offended at all. I think she's just adorable.

All my doc said was, "Wow! Do you have steroid breastmilk?" and, "She's growing beautifully on your milk." He didn't seem concerned. I guess I shouldn't be, either, since he's not...

ebay's a good place for baby clothes too.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

My son was 24 lbs at 6 months and 30 at 1 year. Then he got taller and didn't gain any weight for like 8 months, just slimmed down. He will be 3 on Sat and he is 39.5 lbs so no need to worry!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

yup and my 7 year old was a big baby..
    and she was just one a scale today and was 70 lbs
    She is very tall and slender.