Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ok, she IS weaned!!8 year old pretending to nurse...

Question Ok, she IS weaned!!8 year old pretending to nurse...

Hello all! I have three beautiful kids, and am currently nursing our youngest, a 18 month old. My oldest is 8 years old now and was weaned at 18 months, MANY years ago... and has recently started to pretend to nurse. This is a bit disturbing to me. Has anyone else dealt with something similar, and how do you deal with it? She only started this a few months ago. I just tell her, "You are too old for that now." or something similar, and then divert her attention elsewhere. It's still continuing... so any suggestions???

Default Re: Ok, she IS weaned!!8 year old pretending to nurse...

could you cuddle her instead? offer her a hug? rather than diverting her attention to something entirely different? Maybe she's looking for that closeness?
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Maybe try having a special activity she gets to do when your LO is nursing? That way she feels special and then at the end of each nursing session she gets a hug from you.
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

My oldest daughter was 9 years old when my son was born. She had nursed till she was 2 1/2. She had a lot of questions about nursing and about her nursing as it compared to my son. She never really "pretend" nursed but she did seek extra attention and comfort. I tried my best to include her in something or start a conversation with her when my son nursed so she would not feel shut out during his nursing sessions if she was around. The questions and need for the extra attention at nursing time faded.

Try to enjoy the extra moments. They all get so big so quickly!
    Alene
    LLL Leader

Thanks, I will try those ideas (cuddling, spending time with her). I think she sees the closeness I have with her little brother and wants to imulate it somehow. I guess that's a good thing!

My friend's liitle girl, who is 5, got jealous when her baby brother was born and wanted to go back to wearing a nappy and have a bottle. Although this is different, I think its rather like the same situation. Pleanty of hugs and reassurance that they are just as special definatley helped. I wouldn't worry.

My mum tells me that my older brother used to nurse his teddy whilst she nursed me as a baby! bless him. x
    Mummy to 3 little gentleman
    18/07/01
    01/02/05
    25/04/10
    - All happily breastfed

"A mother's arms are more comforting than anyone else's." -- Diana, Princess of Wales