Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I wean at one year?

Default Can I wean at one year?

I have been bfing twins for 8 months now and I am exhausted. I go back to work just before their first birthday and had planned to wean them at one year old. They have been eating solids 3x a day and we just introduced meat, with suggestions to try yogurt soon. They still nurse about 6 times a day and once or twice at night and I cannot imagine keeping up with that regime while being at my job. They love eating food and are big and healthy.

I know bfing has lots of benefits beyond one but I had thought that, nutritionally, they could get everything they need from food. Our new doc doesn't agree though and seems to be saying I should give them formula after one year old if I stop nursing or partially stop nursing. I am not going to give them formula after all this time and struggle to bf.

Has anybody weaned at one (or before) and just gone to solid food without giving formula or bottles of cow's milk to replace nursing? Or how about info on nutrients a baby can't get from food? Can they just not digest enough volume to meet their needs? Very confused and looking for advice...

Default Re: Can I wean at one year?

I believe some doctors are saying breastmilk or formula for the first two years.

Personally, I think if you wanted to wean after a year, you could give yourself a HUGE pat on the back and feel very proud of yourself.

I would wait, though, to see how you are actually feeling about everything when they turn a year. You might feel differently. Nursing does get easier as the baby gets older.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Can you pump at work? Pumped milk will be more familiar to them than formula or cow's/goat's milk. It might be good to try offering a bottle months before you return to work so they can get used to it.

I started weaning DS at one year, but took it very slow for both of us. He wasn't fully weaned until 17 months. Basically I dropped one nursing session every few weeks and replaced the nursing with meals or cow's milk in a sippy cup. I would recommend seeing how you feel as you drop nursing sessions. You may feel that night weaning is enough and decide to continue nursing a few times during the day. Whatever you chose though, be very proud of what you have accomplished so far. Nursing twins for eight months is quite an accomplishment!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wdsmom View Post
    I started weaning DS at one year, but took it very slow for both of us. He wasn't fully weaned until 17 months. Basically I dropped one nursing session every few weeks and replaced the nursing with meals or cow's milk in a sippy cup. I would recommend seeing how you feel as you drop nursing sessions. You may feel that night weaning is enough and decide to continue nursing a few times during the day. Whatever you chose though, be very proud of what you have accomplished so far. Nursing twins for eight months is quite an accomplishment!!!
    with all this except I didn't wean my kids at a year. I haven't heard of formula being necessary after the one year mark, especially if they are doing well with solids. Just take it slow and trust your gut. A lot of moms find that night weaning gives them a second wind to keep a session or two for a little longer if weaning isn't going as quickly as they hoped. Keep us posted and again, amazing jobe nursing twins for so long

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

I weaned my dd at 14 months and she never drank cow's milk or formula after that point. She did, however, eat a lot of solids and she ate cheese and yogurt. The doc said she would be fine. She'll be seven in Feb and she is doing great!

Toddlers should get about 40 grams of fat per day. It is important for their brain development. So if you are planning on weaning, you will need to be sure they are getting enough fat thru their foods alone. Also, either supplement with calcium or make sure they are eating cheese and yogurt or lots of calcium rich veggies (which is very hard for that age).

I weaned my son closer to 2 yo, and he also has never drank cow's milk, and neither does myself or my husband.

ETA~ I 100% recommend talking to a nutritionist in regards to diet and nutrition, rather than your doctor. They are far more informed than most pedi's and have extensive training. Last I knew, doctors have to take one class about nutrition. At least that is what I was told by friend's hubby that is a pedi.
    Last edited by @llli*shannon75; October 4th, 2010 at 06:12 AM.

sometimes when you wean a feed or two you feal much beter about the few feeds that remain.
    wean slowly with love and watch them for signs that the weaning is going to fast...

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/

this might be very helpful to you:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning-partial.html

Breastmilk or Whole cows/goat milk is what is normally recommended after 1 year. Were the babies premies? Im not sure if that would play into the formula after 1 or not? BTW to breastfeeding twins!
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!

If you're looking for permission to wean at one year, you absolutely can. I can't even imagine the level of exhaustion of breastfeeding and staying home with two babies for a year.

A couple things to keep in mind: a lot is going to change in the next couple months before they turn one. If they're eating solids, they will should start nursing less. It does get easier as they get closer to one.

Many women who work pump wean by one year. You may find that you can go back to work without pumping, or only pumping once a day at first and then cutting back. That may give you some relief.

Finally, once they get to a year, many people nightwean. Google Jay Gordon nightweaning. If they're not nursing at night, and you either don't pump at work, or only pump once, you may find that you're able to continue nursing a few times a day without becoming too tired.

I wouldn't get too far ahead of yourself. If you've got one year set as a goal in your head, that's great and you've done a wonderful thing for your twins. But you may be surprised to find a that goal moving once the time comes. And if it doesn't that's fine too.

The WHO recommendation has ALWAYS been at least two years. And the AAP is just beginning to catch up.
    I vote that you keep an open mind. It's very possible to continue to nurse after a year and NOT keep up the same schedule you have now. You won't be nursing them all day while you are apart so those sessions will just go away. And you may find that you WANT to nurse to reconnect at the end of the day. Also, the composition of milk really changes after the year point. The level of antibodies really goes up because that is when the colostrum wears off and when kids naturally get moving and are around other children. If you are still nursing just 3-5 times in a 24hour period than you don't need to introduce formula OR Cow's milk to substitute. They will still get the nutrition they need and the protection you are used to from your milk. Also....I am really hesitant to encourage anyone to wean before the first year molars break through. They are really big and they really hurt. They get pain relief from the oxcytocin in breastmilk. Don't feel overwhelmed! You can set up limits and boundaries AND still continue to give them the nutritional benefits of your milk. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

Way too lazy for formula