Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teeth

Default Re: Teeth

Marcie, I realize that cross nursing is not a decision that you and your sister have made lightly.... so I'll put this here for the benefit of others.

Cross nursing is not something that is generally recommended because there are risks involved. Every mother is faced with unique circumstances. Each mother knows her baby best and does what works best for her and her family.

FMI: Milk Banking and Milk Sharing

Mary

I am glad to hear of the advice on this thread, as my son is now teething. And I want to know how to get through him nursing with teeth. Thanks everyone.

I think I have an infection from Saturday night's chomp. I still have some oozing(sorry) and I'm in incredible pain when Allen nurses. I've had a very low grade fever off and on, and I'm very tender to the touch and I can't help but whimper if I just brush against something. I'm wearing Soothies and lanolin, but it's been 4 days now and it really hurts. I see stars when I nurse, and if he chomps down again on that side I may have to call it quits. Am I crazy to keep going? I don't want to stop, and he doesn't either.

Hi SouthernSAHM,
    Ouch!
    It sure sounds painful. But you're not crazy! If you both want to continue, nipples can heal and infections can be treated.

How do I heal sore nipples?

If you think you have an infection I would encourage you to contact your doctor to see if medication is needed.

The following symptoms can indicate a bacterial infection:
    cracked nipple with obvious signs of infection
    pus and blood in the milk
    red streaks from the site of the infection back to the breast
    the breast is red, hot & swollen
    flu-like symptoms
    temperature above 101

Whether or not you need antibiotics, breastfeeding can and should continue. Antibiotics are usually compatible with breastfeeding. Sudden weaning puts a mother at risk of developing an abscess.

If antibiotic is prescribed, be sure to take the full course. Try to rest as much as possible, and drink plenty of fluids. Continue to nurse frequently on the affected side or pump if baby is unwilling or unable to nurse on that side. Use alternate massage and hot compresses to help it drain better. Use different positions at various feedings to help drain all parts of the breast.

HTH!
    Keep us posted, OK?

Mary

Was wondering if there is any relief for our 4 month old? She just started teething and is very cranky and will not nurse sometimes because of it. Does anyone have any advice?

Hi AngelAaliyah,
    Maybe some suggestions in this link (non-LLL) will help? Teething
    You might also consider posting in the Infant Breastfeeding Questions forum.
    Hang in there! It's hard to see them being so uncomfortable, isn't it.

Mary

Update! My offended nipple is much better now. I was bitten Saturday, and Tuesday night I was still in great pain. I used chilled Soothies with lanolin or neosporin after he nursed (I cleaned it all off for feedings). Within 24 hours I noticed a huge difference. The Soothies helped me heal w/o a scab-which was pulled off every 2-3 hours--and the red veins soon faded. Now it's just kind of a dull pain only while he nurses. He hasn't bitten since Saturday. I'll keep my fingers crossed. LLLMaryP, thanks for your help!!