Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teeth

Default Teeth

DS had no noticable change to his latch when the bottom two came in. But with the top two (now four), it's gotten slowly worse and worse -- or maybe I should say the comfort is getting worse as he still seems to be get plenty to eat. Latching on is a bit painful (which it hadn't been) and sometimes I try to readjust him several times to no avail. How can I keep him from resting his little fangs on me? After several weeks of this, I'm feeling permanently bruised.

Default Re: Teeth

Are his teeth scraping you? Or just digging in?

My Son now has five and I notice some graze pain...I relach him like he's a new born and shove as much into his mouth as possible. So that he's grazing breast and not nipple. HTH!

Wink Re: Teeth

I know how your feel. My dd can sometimes leave teeth imprints on my boobs. As the pp suggested go back to your newborn latch and get your positioning right. We have found our nursing cushion has come in useful again

He gets lazy with his tongue and retracts it, leaving his bottom teeth to graze. When he is tired, he rests his upper teeth on me as well.

He also likes to nip at me occasionally or play around with how he sucks (thanks to introducing the sippy cup :| I'm able to nip that in the bud and get a few days reprieve before he forgets that mommy won't tolerate it and tried again.

So, in short, it's mostly the lazy tongue that I need to improve. I've been changing up our nursing positions, relatching, and asking for his cooperation. Some days it helps and some days he's not interested in improvements.

The bottom teeth haven't been a problem for us, but as you say, the top two can sometimes cause some irritation. Even with a good latch, DD seems to sink her top two teeth in gently...and I end up with tooth-prints after nursing! Nothing too painful for me...but I have found some ways of avoiding it.

We use the nursing pillow again. Also, I gently tip her forehead away from me after she latches on. This doesn't really change her latch so much as the angle of her head changes the angle of those two front teeth. By tipping them back, they don't apply as much pressure.

Hope this helps!

Proud Mother of ThreePrecious Children

Calder Anwyn
    February 21, 2006
    Nursed Until 18 Months
    Ewan Walker
    May 31, 2008
    Nursed Until 15 Months
    Reed Bennett
    February 26, 2011
    Off to a beautiful start...!

My youngest doesn't have teeth yet (7 mos), but when my oldest got teeth (he nursed until 2 yrs) I read in a breastfeeding book that it is impossible for a baby to actively nurse unless they cover their lower teeth with their tongue...just like newborns. The book suggested that if you were having problems with the teeth, that after LO stopped nursing, and retracted his tongue, that you unlatch him and either relatch him again, or if he was done, just unlatch him and find something else for him to do. That especially worked for me if LO was feeling "playful" and nipping etc. If he really wanted to nurse, he learned pretty quick not to mouth me with his teeth...(it wasn't really a full bite sometimes.)

Just remember not to "Yelp" too loud if your LO does bite you or cause you pain. my oldest got pretty upset when I did...It really bothered him that I was hurt, and I've also heard of LO's going on nursing strikes if Momma reacts too badly to a bite...LO is apprehensive about nursing again and getting that reaction again.

Unhappy Re: Teeth

My son turned on 10/25 and we're having many teeth issues. He actually got his teeth at 4 months and boy did it hurt!! After a week or two my nipples toughened up just like when he was a newborn. Since his back teeth have been coming in, he's been a biter--and I've been a bleeder. I'm pretty sure he only bites when his back teeth are hurting, and the soft flesh of my breast is soothing. I've tried a firm 'no!', putting him down and not nursing, and I even pretend(sometimes real) crying to let him know it hurts. Once he even tricked me--After I took him off for biting, his little lip quivered and he sadly cried with his hands outreached, "yum, yum!". He bit me again!! My husband is amazed that I can still put my 'good' nipple in the baby's mouth while the other is still bleeding. He's a very sweet baby who doesn't understand how bad it hurts, but I'm often to the point of just pumping. I don't want to do that because he is my first really successful breastfed. With my first child, a lactation nurse got me on a nipple shield and for 18 months I never got her off it, and I had to pump & bottle several times a day to fix the supply problems that the sheild caused. I'd appreciate any advice!!
    Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernSAHM View Post
    My son turned on 10/25 and we're having many teeth issues. He actually got his teeth at 4 months and boy did it hurt!! After a week or two my nipples toughened up just like when he was a newborn. Since his back teeth have been coming in, he's been a biter--and I've been a bleeder. I'm pretty sure he only bites when his back teeth are hurting, and the soft flesh of my breast is soothing. I've tried a firm 'no!', putting him down and not nursing, and I even pretend(sometimes real) crying to let him know it hurts. Once he even tricked me--After I took him off for biting, his little lip quivered and he sadly cried with his hands outreached, "yum, yum!". He bit me again!! My husband is amazed that I can still put my 'good' nipple in the baby's mouth while the other is still bleeding. He's a very sweet baby who doesn't understand how bad it hurts, but I'm often to the point of just pumping. I don't want to do that because he is my first really successful breastfed. With my first child, a lactation nurse got me on a nipple shield and for 18 months I never got her off it, and I had to pump & bottle several times a day to fix the supply problems that the sheild caused. I'd appreciate any advice!!
    Thanks!!
    We've been on the shield now for almost 13 months, though I do not have a supply problem (thankfully, I have a over supply), I hate having to carry the stupid thing around everywhere we go. As far as the bitting...my DD has ruined 2 shields from bitting through them and getting to my nipple, this only happened twice, thankfully, and she hasn't bitten again. I had to nurse my neice last week, one night when I was watching her (7 weeks older than my DD) and her teeth hurt. I had red marks on both nipples where those top teeth dug right in (not on purpose). Since this is something that doesn't happen that often, I'm not too worried about it, but if it did, OMG - I feel so bad for my sister (which she says she doesn't even feel it anymore, I cannot understand that). I guess the good thing about the shield is that is doesn't allow for those top teeth to rest on the nipple....but I would trade it off anyday for her just latching onto me....

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernSAHM View Post
    My son turned on 10/25 and we're having many teeth issues.
    Hi SouthernSAHM,
    Maybe something in here will help you with the biting?
    What Should I Do If My Baby Bites Me?
    It sounds like you are really determined to get through this. Usually these phases of biting *do* have an end! Hang in there!

Mary