Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Foremilk/hindmilk imbalance or food sensitivity?

Question Foremilk/hindmilk imbalance or food sensitivity?

Hi ladies,

My 3 month old is having some digestive issues, and I am really struggling. We've seen our pediatrician several times, and have been to a GI dr. and nothing is working. Here is some history:

She has always fed well and gained weight well - she's in the 95th percentile for weight and height. Around 2-3 weeks of age, she started having horrible, painful gas. A few weeks later, she started choking and crying after feedings. The doctor diagnosed her with reflux, and prescribed 0.8 ml of Zantac 2/day. This stopped the fussiness, but the choking has continued. She most often chokes 30 minutes to an hour after the feeding, but not during it. Her spit up is always very mucousy (looks like I blew my nose into the burp cloth.)

At 2 months of age, she started having flecks of blood in her stool. The stool also turned very green and mucousy (it is like this all the time). We took her back in, and the pediatrician said to eliminate milk protein from my diet. I did that for over 2 weeks with no visible improvement in her stool. The pediatrican then referred us to a pediatric gastroenterologist, who recommended that I also eliminate soy and egg. I have been doing that for 2 weeks now, and her symptoms haven't changed, and on some days are even worse. Her poop is green every day and has at least some blood every day.

Since I cut soy, egg, and dairy, I basically eat plain bread, rice milk, pasta, fruits, and vegetables. I'm keeping a food diary, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason to her symptoms unless there is a food I am missing. She did break out in a head to toe rash from almond milk, so I obviously stopped drinking that. I noticed that her symptoms may be consistent with foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, but I am not sure if the blood would be present for that. I don't really have the symptoms for that though. I did notice her symptoms were bad today after she slept through the night without a feeding (I was really engorged this morning.) She often feeds very quickly too, so maybe she is not getting enough hindmilk?? I am determined to continue breastfeeding her, and will do whatever it takes. I am concerned with block feeding diminishing my flow though. I breastfed my son for 13 months, and he never had any issues, so this is all new to me.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer!

Default Re: Foremilk/hindmilk imbalance or food sensitivity?

This resource suggests that blood in the stool can be caused by oversupply. Based on that and on the observations that your baby feeds very quickly and shows worsened symptoms after you were engorged, I'd probably try to manage oversupply in the conventional way (block feeding) while keeping a close eye on diaper output. If # of diapers/day remains normal and stool color reverts to yellow and tbe other symptoms improve, you can blame oversupply. If diaper output drops to low-normal or below normal but stools remain green, then the problem wasn't oversupply and you should return to 2-sided feedings.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"