Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Worried about switching from pumping to nursing

Default Worried about switching from pumping to nursing

I gave birth to my 4lb. 9oz. son on Oct. 5th. I was induced 5 weeks early due to severe preeclampsia and IUGR. Thankfully, little Oliver was born healthy just small and fragile. I had planned to bring him to the breast immediately after birth but I was unable to follow through with that since he was having trouble maintaining his temp. He was taken to the nursery for the next 6 hours where he was fed formula multiple times until the next afternoon. I wasn't able to see him for more than a few seconds much less nurse him. I was informed that due to his small size I would have to pump if I wished to breastfeed so that his intake could be measured. I continued to pump and bottle feed Oliver to his first doctors appointment.

I had hoped that at his first visit (Monday the 9th) that I would be given the go ahead to stop pumping and start nursing. Unfortunately, I was directed to continue pumping to measure his intake. I've tried to nurse Oliver a few times between feedings but he gets very frustrated. This evening I waited until he was hungry to try to nurse him and follow it up with a bottle if needed. I let him nurse for about 20 minutes and it didn't seem he was swallowing much. I gave him the bottle directly afterward and he ate a full feeding worth. Ugh!

I'm getting very discouraged. I'm worried that when I am given the go ahead to exclusively nurse that Oliver wont take to the breast. He's very comfortable with the bottle but I really want to give him the best by nursing On a side note: I have 2 other children, Holden 6, who I had a similar experience with that ended my nursing at 3 months and Mia, 4, who I successfully nursed for 9 months.

I need some encouragement and advice.

Thank you

Default Re: Worried about switching from pumping to nursing

Congrats on your new son. Is sounds like you are doing a great job. I hope that you wil continue to try to nurse your son. You have the advantage of being an experienced Mom. Trust your instincts. I have lots of experience feedng tiny babies and I know it can be frustrating and heartbreaking. As a Mom you want the best for your son. My daughter was 28 weeks and 21/2 lbs. In all honesty she was never a great nurser. She was EBF for two years and my pump was our best friend. In July I had my DS he was 4lbs 15oz at birth. When he was released from the hospital he was 4lbs 7 oz. At his two month checkup he was 11 lbs. I have never given him formula and never given him a bottle. Here's the thing. The first month I nursed him every hour practically 24 hours a day. He averaged 14 -16 feeds a day. This was extremely difficult with an active toddler. IMHO barring extenuating circumstances you should be able to nurse your son full time. The notion of knowing how much is going into the baby is for the doctors. Try nursing on demand. As often and as long as your son wants. The truth is it won't be easy but it will be extremely rewarding. If you are offering the breast each time your body will produce exactly what your son needs. Mothers of premature babies actually produce milk that is hiogher in vitamins, calories and fat that that of a full term baby. Hava faith and good luck! Let us know how you are doing.

Mama to DD Mariah 04/03 2lbs 8oz BF 2yrs 1 day!
    DS Ryan 07/06 4lbs 15 oz No solids until 18 mo's!
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" Gandhi

Default Re: Worried about switching from pumping to nursing

I would nurse on demand but he NEVER wakes up. Not to feed, not to poop, not for anything. He truly wakes up about twice a day for nearly 30 minutes. I've only heard him cry a handful of times but for no more than 10 seconds.