Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby wakes up at night

Default Baby wakes up at night

My Lo is 6.5 months we started solid right after his completion of six month.Now he is on cereal twice a day ans small amount of fruits in day time. He is a very happy baby in day time.Naps Regularly(Normally 3 times ranging from 30 min to 2 hrs). Problem is at night, he continuously wakes up at night and start crying.He even don't open his eyes(is so sleepy) but still cries only thing that comfort him is my breast.I then feed him even if i had feed him just 30 min earlier.i had tried pacifier and other measures of comforting him but nothing works.I know he is not crying cause of hunger but is frusted 'coz i don't understand why my baby is crying.He had developed a pattern of waking about 1 hr after he sleeps, he wakes up and start crying and then it is difficult to make him sleep.

Other issue is he does't poop regularly about once a week even after introducing solid.Poop is normally soft but he really cried whenever he poop.Night time waking may be due to lack of poop? i haven't tried prune juice should i? Should i? How often?

I wish i could get out of this frustation of now knowing what my baby wants.

thx

Default Re: Baby wakes up at night

So sometimes the introduction of solids will cause a decrease in sleep. Particularly if it is bothersome to the tummy. You might consider that at six months your LO is being fed a bit too much solids (twice a day plus fruits). My daughter is nearing 8 months and she is only eating a tiny bit every other day. I'm not recommending you follow our patter, to each their own, but in your shoes I would cut back to once a day to see if it helps. I would also offer less than 2 oz of water (per day) with the solids or else just nurse right after feeding. That can help with constipation.

From kellymom.com:
    "Some babies will sleep worse, due to reactions to the formula or solids (tummy ache, etc. are not uncommon), particularly if baby is younger than around 6 months. Two studies have indicated that adding solids to the diet does not cause babies to sleep longer. These studies found no difference in the sleep patterns of babies who received solids before bedtime when compared to babies who were not given solids. Here are the two studies:

Macknin ML, Medendorp SV, Maier MC. Infant sleep and bedtime cereal. Am J Dis Child. 1989 Sep;143(9):1066-8.

Keane V, et al. Do solids help baby sleep through the night? Am J Dis Child 1988; 142: 404-05."
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

Yeah, I'd cut back on the solids, my son is 9 months and still hardly eats solids. We usually offer a little fruit in the morning (about 2 blueberries, so not much) and a veggie at dinner. Some days he gobbles it all up and some days he just plays with it. I just roll with it! I trust him to make the eating decision, all I can do is offer him a variety of foods, he'll eat what he wants when he knows he's ready.
    Aedan's mommy since 12/09
    Let me get up on my I'm a , ,,, , milk donating, attachment parenting mama! And we wouldn't have it any other way!

Thank you redpowder mom and a.smommy

I do give him water when i feed him solid.As for solid he enjoys his food and i am giving it in a small amt so don't think cutting down will do good.

I had realized he wakes up when he hasn't poop for 4+ days so now my concern is to make him poop in a regular basis.

I regularly feed him BM and had cut down rice apples and bananas.

let's see how is does.Last 3 days has been a quiteful night waking just to be feed after3/4 hrs .

6 months is a prime time for a growth spurt, it could be he is waking because he needs to eat.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

about the growth spurt. Also, do you think he is teething?? some babies are very restless when teething.

I know in my oldest, rice cereal gave him bad gas, which can be painful for babies. I wasn't understand what you were saying-did you cut it out, or is he eating it?

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

My son is 8 months and has been waking up a hour after putting him to bed. He has been sleeping through the night for months. But the last week he's done the same thing - waking up about an hour after putting him to bed. Sometimes I'll nurse him, but other times I just hold him and sing to him. Not sure exactly what it is.

He has done this from time to time over the past several months. He'll be sleeping through the night great, then go through a short period of waking up after I put him to sleep. Never quite been able to figure it out. Sometimes it has been due to a tooth, other times a growth spurt, and maybe other times an upset tummy (I've had some trouble with food reactions).

Guess I didn't offer any help.
    Children are a blessing from the Lord.
    Wife to my sweety & Mother to my son (Born January 2010)

I started to motherhood when my son first smiled at me, is my preferred method of transporting my son, was overwhelming at first but now enjoyable, and cloth diapering his & are my newest adventures!

sorry - i didn't understand about the rice, apples, bananas either. I know bananas constipated my LO at the beginning. So did rice cereal, bad.

MY ds also woke up lots of times a night at 6mos, and I think it was for several reasons: his top teeth were coming in, which were considerably more uncomfortable to him that the lower 2.

growth spurt. He really did want to eat more frequently

He was starting to move around a lot on his own. He started crawling and pulling himself up. I've always noticed with anything new that he's doing, he can't stop doing it for the first week or two. Right now, he can't stop waving and saying dada.

But when he started pulling himself up, he did it about 7000x a day. I think it really made him wakeup more, same with crawling. Then it passes once they've got the new trick down pat and sleep returns.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Very interesting reading all the post. My baby is 7mos and he eats solids about twice a day. I thought that was to little but now i see its pretty normal. Very refreshing to hear.
    Mom to Mariella 8/6/05, Konstantinos 10/24/06 and Antonis 3/4/10, breastfeeding for the first time. Just make a year!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sasi View Post
    Thank you redpowder mom and a.smommy

I do give him water when i feed him solid.As for solid he enjoys his food and i am giving it in a small amt so don't think cutting down will do good.

I had realized he wakes up when he hasn't poop for 4+ days so now my concern is to make him poop in a regular basis.

I regularly feed him BM and had cut down rice apples and bananas.

let's see how is does.Last 3 days has been a quiteful night waking just to be feed after3/4 hrs .
    Sasi, my son was pooping every 15 days. The doctor wasn't too concerned about it as he was EBF. I was concerned and I appeared to be uncomfortable. But, when he would poop, it was liquid. We took him to a pediatric chiropractor. His sacrum was pressing against his colon causing his system to not be able to poop...he wasn't constipated, his system just wouldn't expel. We had a few adjustments and just finished last week...he's pooped 4x in the last week. Something to think about and look into. I had a REALLY hard time convincing DH about chiropractic care, but I was raised on chiropractic adjustments.