Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Drastic increase in weight after weaning??!!

Question Drastic increase in weight after weaning??!!

Hi,

I am a mother of a 16 month old daughter. I exclusively breastfed her for 15 months and then I was becoming more and more tired. So I weaned her a month before. I am usually a petite person, even before pregnancy, during and after pregnancy. I weighed 103 pounds until I weaned my daughter. In just one month I have gained 5 pounds, I am now 108 pounds. I eat healthy, since last month after I weaned her I have been working out 30 min 5 days a week.

Is this weight gain normal? Has anybody experienced this?

Please let me know your thoughts. I am concerned about my weight gain.

Thanks,
    Sangita

Default Re: Drastic increase in weight after weaning??!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sangeeetha View Post
    Hi,

I am a mother of a 16 month old daughter. I exclusively breastfed her for 15 months and then I was becoming more and more tired. So I weaned her a month before. I am usually a petite person, even before pregnancy, during and after pregnancy. I weighed 103 pounds until I weaned my daughter. In just one month I have gained 5 pounds, I am now 108 pounds. I eat healthy, since last month after I weaned her I have been working out 30 min 5 days a week.

Is this weight gain normal? Has anybody experienced this?

Please let me know your thoughts. I am concerned about my weight gain.

Thanks,
    Sangita
    i haven't weaned before, but I know all my sisters gained about five pounds when they stopped nursing.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

I also lost weight when I weaned, but I would imagine every woman is different. If you were eating more calories than you might normally eat while you were nursing and then weaned but continued to eat those extra calories I suppose that could result in weight gain. It may also be the result of hormonal changes from weaning.

If I were you I'd probably give things another month and see if your weight evens out on its own.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Nursing burns calories. So those calories that were being burnt from making all that milk aren't being burnt from that anymore.
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*redpowerlady View Post
    Nursing burns calories. So those calories that were being burnt from making all that milk aren't being burnt from that anymore.
    And that's how I gained about 15 lbs.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    And that's how I gained about 15 lbs.
    Yeah, i totally see that being me i've forgotten how to watch what i eat! I think it's so interesting though that some mamas retain that last little bit of weight and others lose more weight. All my sisters have been super skinny while nursing and then sort of even out to their normal weight a couple of months after weaning. I'm smaller than i've ever been, but fully expect that it's short lived.
    Last edited by @llli*jbean1979; October 1st, 2010 at 07:00 PM.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

I haven't weaned yet and weigh less than I did pre-pregnancy but I can see that I am used to eating a lot (about 3000 kcals/day) so if my toddler weans and I had to quit running I would really need to get used to watching what I eat.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.